CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Off Topic » The Ratskeller

Post Posted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:16 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I read an article on MassivelyOP a while back that talked about SOEs previous statement that "nobody likes to play Uncle Owen" in mmorpgs. That no one wants to be a moisture farmer, own a shop and run it yourself, grow a garden, or any other regular activity that doesn't involve killing things and saving the world.

How do you guys feel? Have any experiences? Link to the article below.

http://massivelyop.com/2017/05/18/massi ... n-mmorpgs/

Post Posted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Playing "Uncle Owen" (where does this name come from) is pretty much most of what I do in the sandbox mmo that I am playing right now. It's really fun if the game has been build around it.

This game is Wurm Unlimited for who wants to know.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:02 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

It comes from Star Wars haha. Uncle Owen was the uncle of the Luke Skywalker the main character. I feel like the option to play these kinds of characters is what draws me to a game even more. There's something quite awesome about being able to just spend your playtime being a simple moisture farmer (as you could in SWG) or just roleplaying a character who remains indifferent to massive battles and epic quests and just tries to live a quiet life.

It does sadden me a bit that CoS won't allow us to roleplay this way. I have heard great things about Wurm online. Is the community very good?

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:23 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Smolgen wrote:
It comes from Star Wars haha. Uncle Owen was the uncle of the Luke Skywalker the main character. I feel like the option to play these kinds of characters is what draws me to a game even more. There's something quite awesome about being able to just spend your playtime being a simple moisture farmer (as you could in SWG) or just roleplaying a character who remains indifferent to massive battles and epic quests and just tries to live a quiet life.

It does sadden me a bit that CoS won't allow us to roleplay this way. I have heard great things about Wurm online. Is the community very good?

Well, there is nothing stopping you from running your store and playing 'Uncle Owen' in CoS, other than the fact that you won't advance through the story, since that is adventure driven. You can, however, setup a shop in your Guild or Garrison town, in Tier 1 and role play away.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:33 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

It is, true, however, that CoS is not a Sandbox MMO. We are an Epic story driven adventure world. Think of it as an epic fantasy novel series (though that is linear, and CoS is not). However, for the sake of example, imagine we were a fantasy series for a moment. Playing 'Uncle Owen' would be like asking the series to not follow the adventures of Aragorn, or Frodo, or Gandalf, etc. but to follow the farming of Farmer Maggot for the entire three book series. Unfortunately, his story is not novel series worthy, mushrooms or not.

However, I also need to point out that CoS is not a combat driven game either. It is not a hack and slash, kill things so you can kill bigger things, game. That's what most of the other fantasy MMOs out there are like. Killing things is certainly an option, but it isn't your only choice to further a story. You can play through adventures many different ways, though farming you way through isn't likely an option. ;). You can, however, try things like steal, disguise, misdirection, etc. Or you can solve a mystery, expose the bad guys to the authorities. You capture villains and turn them in. You can explore the world and capture, not kill monsters.

This game is about the story, and the path you choose to go though that story. Not a sand box, but not a linear story either. It's an adventure based on the choices you make.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:45 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Smolgen wrote:
I have heard great things about Wurm online. Is the community very good?

Yes, It's really good. Nice and helpful people. Lots of older people as well.
It's a slow game with a high learning curve, these kind of games tend to have great communities :)

Board index » Off Topic » The Ratskeller