CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Off Topic » The Ratskeller

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:57 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Long post incoming because you sounded like you are excited to talk about gameplay atm jatar. I have two that I can't decide which is better than the other, but the economy in both is the bigest factor in why I choose these as the best examples.

First is ffxi up until the cap was increased passed lvl 75. There are many things I absolutely loved about the game design.

Firstly I loved that you needed to group to level up. It was great for community building and for the first two years or so everyone knew just about everyone else people who were toxic to the community took much much longer to level and by the time they reached cap they could essentially party with only similar people.

Secondly I loved how items had value, nothing was soulbind on equip and it dropped in limited enough quantities to make their value stay strong. If you got something better or switched jobs you could resell it for as much as you payed, or most of the time even more. It allowed for a strong economy so that players could choose to be cooks, fisherman, nm hunters, level and sell those drops to crafters, or raid and sell those drops and no matter how they chose to enjoy the game they could buy everything but the top 1% endgame gear in the game.

Lastly what I loved the most was the crafting system. The ability to fail if you craft beyond your level and create HQ items felt perfectly balanced. Failures helped keep normal items keep crafting mats valuable in the items infancy valuable, and on the flipside +1 very marginally better items kept players crafting normal items in the hopes of crafting items at a heavy heavy loss in the hopes of a 1% chance at making the best bar none item in the game that is worth 90x the value if the items making it. This helps the non crafters as well as they can sell their items at a stable price that they set, and they buy the final product for 1/10th the cost of what they sold the mats for. This let's crafting an incredibly essential part of game play without requiring anyone to need to touch it at all if they don't want to take part in the startup cost.

Eve is the other game that I thought had really good game play elements. It also had some negatives I did not like. I loves the way the community and land ownership worked. It made for political game play elements that are unseen in any other and probably never will ever be seen again.

I hated the skill up system being time based, and there is no reason to compare how beautiful the pirate pvp was setup as that was put in as the focus of the game, and cos will not have anything similar as it was not designed to be a politicall pvp space sim.

One thing that I do hope is allowed like in eve despite it not being related to game play is allowing selling of game time passes for ingame currecy. This does several things for one it let's the player's to play the game for free if you farm enough, while allowing those that work 12 hour days and have a family still keep up with that friends by selling these cards to other players. The company making the game loses no money to this practice because players need to pay full price for the codes they buy and trade to other players, and it probably keeps others playing long after they would have quit as they can just sell their stockpile of money they amassed for playtime every so often. And secondly this helps cut down on rmt a lot as they need to farm and sell their gold at prices the player's themselves set.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:03 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Evilbunny wrote:
Long post incoming because you sounded like you are excited to talk about gameplay atm jatar. I have two that I can't decide which is better than the other, but the economy in both is the bigest factor in why I choose these as the best examples.

First is ffxi up until the cap was increased passed lvl 75. There are many things I absolutely loved about the game design.

Firstly I loved that you needed to group to level up. It was great for community building and for the first two years or so everyone knew just about everyone else people who were toxic to the community took much much longer to level and by the time they reached cap they could essentially party with only similar people.

Secondly I loved how items had value, nothing was soulbind on equip and it dropped in limited enough quantities to make their value stay strong. If you got something better or switched jobs you could resell it for as much as you payed, or most of the time even more. It allowed for a strong economy so that players could choose to be cooks, fisherman, nm hunters, level and sell those drops to crafters, or raid and sell those drops and no matter how they chose to enjoy the game they could buy everything but the top 1% endgame gear in the game.

Lastly what I loved the most was the crafting system. The ability to fail if you craft beyond your level and create HQ items felt perfectly balanced. Failures helped keep normal items keep crafting mats valuable in the items infancy valuable, and on the flipside +1 very marginally better items kept players crafting normal items in the hopes of crafting items at a heavy heavy loss in the hopes of a 1% chance at making the best bar none item in the game that is worth 90x the value if the items making it. This helps the non crafters as well as they can sell their items at a stable price that they set, and they buy the final product for 1/10th the cost of what they sold the mats for. This let's crafting an incredibly essential part of game play without requiring anyone to need to touch it at all if they don't want to take part in the startup cost.

Eve is the other game that I thought had really good game play elements. It also had some negatives I did not like. I loves the way the community and land ownership worked. It made for political game play elements that are unseen in any other and probably never will ever be seen again.

I hated the skill up system being time based, and there is no reason to compare how beautiful the pirate pvp was setup as that was put in as the focus of the game, and cos will not have anything similar as it was not designed to be a politicall pvp space sim.

One thing that I do hope is allowed like in eve despite it not being related to game play is allowing selling of game time passes for ingame currecy. This does several things for one it let's the player's to play the game for free if you farm enough, while allowing those that work 12 hour days and have a family still keep up with that friends by selling these cards to other players. The company making the game loses no money to this practice because players need to pay full price for the codes they buy and trade to other players, and it probably keeps others playing long after they would have quit as they can just sell their stockpile of money they amassed for playtime every so often. And secondly this helps cut down on rmt a lot as they need to farm and sell their gold at prices the player's themselves set.

1) Grouping to level up: Or, as I like to call it forced grouping. I have done research into this, and found that that gamers are divided. Half love it (like you) half despise it. For this simple reason, we decided against it, and here is our logic. If we require forced grouping, half of the gaming population is forced to do something they despise. If we do not force grouping, all the people that like to group may group, and all the people that hate it do not have to group. Both types of players can get what they want. Now certainly the ones that like forced grouping may be upset that we don't force the people that hate it to group, but I don't see why they should be able to make other players do things they don't want to do. Therefore, CoS will never have forced grouping.

2) CoS has an equipment system that we believe will keep the economy very strong. It is not the same as the one you quoted, but we don't want to copy any other game in any way. We have come up with our own system, and with this system, every item you ever get, all of them, are valuable. Selling has value as well, and it is not always just money, you gain other things by selling items to vendors. And there is a lot more to this system. Only time will tell, but we think it will keep the economy working well.

3) CoS approaches Crafting from a whole different avenue. At the heart of it though, is that there are no mass produced items. Mass producing (meaning one player keeps making the same kind of item repeatedly) leads to inflation, and loss of value. Our system makes every Crafted item unique (or nearly so). The longer you work on the item, the more value it attains, and the more unique it becomes. However, we eliminated the time sink aspect of Crafting, so there is no standing around doing a repetitive task. We feel that this keeps players in the game, the world and the ongoing story, instead of wasting away time standing still, which other MMOs use because they don't have enough content.

4) Sorry, we don't plan for players selling time. We are trying everything we can to discourage farming, it just leads to Third World companies paying people nearly nothing to play the game and sell things to other players as a way to make money. Yes, I know, that was not the intention of the system, but it is what happens to any farmable resource in a game.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:50 pm 

1) Grouping to level up: Or, as I like to call it forced grouping. I have done research into this, and found that that gamers are divided. Half love it (like you) half despise it. For this simple reason, we decided against it, and here is our logic. If we require forced grouping, half of the gaming population is forced to do something they despise. If we do not force grouping, all the people that like to group may group, and all the people that hate it do not have to group. Both types of players can get what they want. Now certainly the ones that like forced grouping may be upset that we don't force the people that hate it to group, but I don't see why they should be able to make other players do things they don't want to do. Therefore, CoS will never have forced grouping.

I don't mind not having a forced grouping system, however Games that dont have the forced grouping often struggle finding a balance to keep the game feeling too single playerish... Take WoW for example with Warlords of Dreanor expansion. Many players thought it made the top subscription MMOPRG feel like a single player game. This is something many companies struggle with and why many more prefer the forced grouping in higher content so that they have a different style of game play. Sure you can solo lower content.. but at higher levels (not max) Theres the forced grouping to change things up and prepares players to work with others for group content in later stages of the game.

But then theres is the point made by Evilbunny.. Trollish players will have a tough time doing forced group content as they will invariably tick off the players and get themselves ignored. So it has pluses and minuses. Its all on how the games developed.

2) CoS has an equipment system that we believe will keep the economy very strong. It is not the same as the one you quoted, but we don't want to copy any other game in any way. We have come up with our own system, and with this system, every item you ever get, all of them, are valuable. Selling has value as well, and it is not always just money, you gain other things by selling items to vendors. And there is a lot more to this system. Only time will tell, but we think it will keep the economy working well.

I so far like what we have heard about equipment. The economy is still a mystery but that is what makes this design fun.

3) CoS approaches Crafting from a whole different avenue. At the heart of it though, is that there are no mass produced items. Mass producing (meaning one player keeps making the same kind of item repeatedly) leads to inflation, and loss of value. Our system makes every Crafted item unique (or nearly so). The longer you work on the item, the more value it attains, and the more unique it becomes. However, we eliminated the time sink aspect of Crafting, so there is no standing around doing a repetitive task. We feel that this keeps players in the game, the world and the ongoing story, instead of wasting away time standing still, which other MMOs use because they don't have enough content.

The crafting thing is something I am Interested in since I am unsure how CoS's crafting system will be received by the players.

4) Sorry, we don't plan for players selling time. We are trying everything we can to discourage farming, it just leads to Third World companies paying people nearly nothing to play the game and sell things to other players as a way to make money. Yes, I know, that was not the intention of the system, but it is what happens to any farmable resource in a game.

Im not a farmer so Jatar you have my support on this one... As I have told many of my friends I play a game to have fun... If I want to have a job I would get paid for it.. not pay to farm.. they still dont get it after all these years... but, its not my problem. So Im all for this.

Now I like Evilbunnies mention of the political system. It isnt something you see in many games and with A world and civilization in CoS this could be something absolutely possible. However I do not think we will have any roles in politics. We may influence them in some way through our story, however I for one would rather play and explore than be a filthy politician....

Board index » Off Topic » The Ratskeller