CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities

Post subject: Cadres
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:28 pm 
Fallen Hero

What types of Cadres are there? And how specific is it, is it like:

battle-mage, lvl 1 get hero sword skill x and magic skill y and z, train skill x more ect.

or

battle-mage, get weapon skills from hero league and spells from magic league.

And are there specific Cadre armor and weapons?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post subject: Re: Cadres
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:52 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Mystic wrote:
What types of Cadres are there? And how specific is it, is it like:

battle-mage, lvl 1 get hero sword skill x and magic skill y and z, train skill x more ect.

or

battle-mage, get weapon skills from hero league and spells from magic league.

And are there specific Cadre armor and weapons?

Cadres are a very specific list of Abilities, and Study point distribution to create a type of character, however there is no reason that you MUST follow it precisely. Cadres are there for players who don't want to have to think about what mix of Abilities and Study point distribution is best for a type of character. However, Cadres may also be used to just cut down the amount of planning needed, yet allow the player to customize the Cadre Ability set a little, or a lot, depending on what they want to achieve. Obviously, players may also just create their own set of Abilities and put Study points wherever they want. There just aren't many real restrictions to this system.

About the only caveat to this is that Abilities come in lines of seven Echelons. To get to higher Echelon versions of that Ability line, you must take the lower ones that lead to it. One cool thing, all study points you place in lower Echelons always benefit the higher Echelons of that Ability, so those are never a waste, even if you are just getting those Abilities to reach a particular one in a higher Echelon.

The other thing to note is that you can only get Echelons that match the Tier you have reached in the Citadel. So in Tier 1 you can only get and advance Echelon One Abilities. At Tier 4, for example, you can get Echelon 4 or lower Echelon Abilities. By Tier 7 you can get Abilities from any Echelon.

You may think that Echelon 1 Abilities are only good in Tier 1, but that is not true at all. You will find all of your Abilities useful at any point in the game. Certainly higher ones are typically more powerful, but also have a higher cost. You don't need an Earthquake to kill a single Maggotman, so even on Tier 7, using a nuke like Ability to kill a single creature is wasteful, you are better served to use a lower Echelon Ability and conserve power.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:04 pm 
Fallen Hero

Will they be like in most games, powerups of the same moves? ex:

mag 1 earthquake- mag 2 earthquake- mag 3 earthquake- mag 4 earthquake- mag 5 earthquake-mag 6 earthquake-mag 7 earthquake

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:35 pm 

Mystic wrote:

mag 1 earthquake- mag 2 earthquake- mag 3 earthquake- mag 4 earthquake- mag 5 earthquake-mag 6 earthquake-mag 7 earthquake

There is another post about how skills stack they are all unique apparently...... All 1890 abilities.

My understanding was that you want a more powerfull earthquake you put more points into it , the follow on to eartquake may be something like Summon "Earth Elemental" or earth related skills or Element based skills but not earthquake II thats would be dissapointing.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:41 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Isane wrote:
Mystic wrote:

There is another post about how skills stack they are all unique apparently...... All 1890 abilities.

My understanding was that you want a more powerfull earthquake you put more points into it , the follow on to eartquake may be something like Summon "Earth Elemental" or earth related skills or Element based skills but not earthquake II thats would be dissapointing.

Isane is correct, not power ups, but unique Abilities. Each of the 1890 have Study Points to improve them, but each Ability within an Echelon is a unique Ability. You may also improve them somewhat with practice.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:33 pm 
Fallen Hero

WOW. That sounds like a lot of work.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:03 am 
Citadel Guardian

I had completely forgotten about the cadres. Probably because I wasn't really planning a build for CoS.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:28 pm 
Fallen Hero

How high lvl do cadres go? If progression doesn't slow, then how often would I master a cadre and have to move to the next(assuming I only use cadres)?
And do cadres auto spend points, or is it just a messge "put your next point here for the battlemage cadre"?
Can I be in more than 1 cadre at the same time?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:33 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Mystic wrote:
How high lvl do cadres go? If progression doesn't slow, then how often would I master a cadre and have to move to the next(assuming I only use cadres)?
And do cadres auto spend points, or is it just a messge "put your next point here for the battlemage cadre"?
Can I be in more than 1 cadre at the same time?

They go as high as you want, its not like there is a max level. So its impossible to master something and go to the next thing as that theoretical "max" does not exist.

Also for the example of earthquake it wouldn't be 7 ranks of it. It would be something like:
1) rock throw: throw a magical rock
2) shrapnel: throw several rocks in a cone
3) lob: throw a rock that ignores los
4) ricochet: throw a rock that bounces x times
5) concussive grenade: the rock strikes something's head temporarily disorienting it making it move slower
6) fissure: line attack if target is on the ground
7) earthquake: ground around you shakes greatly decreasing movement and increases cast times.
They are all earth element, but each levels differently and to different effect. Also these abilities I listed would be in atleast two different echelons as five of these are projectiles and only two deal with terrain.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities