CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities

Post subject: Ability Questions
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:28 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I have a few questions about how the abilities work.

-Are all abilities "active" (you press a button, it does something), or is it a mix of active and passive abilities?

-Are they designed to all be completely independent, or do abilities interact with each other. For example, casting ability A would cause ability B to do more damage.

-What percent of abilities would you consider to be very rare or hard to find?

-Is every ability completely unique, or are there elemental variations for many abilities? (ex. you would have Fire Strike, Water Strike, Ice Strike, Earth Strike, Holy Strike ect.)

If you guys can't answer, I can understand. Hopefully you can tell us something!

Post subject: Re: Ability Questions
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:37 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Well I can answer only a couple of these. Abilities will be unique from what I gathered, and there are 120 uber heroic abilities.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:16 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Antilurker77 wrote:
I have a few questions about how the abilities work.

-Are all abilities "active" (you press a button, it does something), or is it a mix of active and passive abilities?
There are both active and passive.

-Are they designed to all be completely independent, or do abilities interact with each other. For example, casting ability A would cause ability B to do more damage.
Independent, though there are ways of increasing power with a chaining system, but it involves some gambling. We haven't really released information on that yet, later.

-What percent of abilities would you consider to be very rare or hard to find?
None, get any Ability you want. There are practical limits because if you get too many Abilities each one would not be very powerful. After getting Abilities you make them more powerful with study and practice. You can only study and practice so much, so you can either have a lot of watered down Abilities, or a few powerful ones, your choice. I would go with a few powerful ones. Of course, after a long time you could work on a lot of powerful ones.

-Is every ability completely unique, or are there elemental variations for many abilities? (ex. you would have Fire Strike, Water Strike, Ice Strike, Earth Strike, Holy Strike ect.)
Completely Unique, as much as possible

If you guys can't answer, I can understand. Hopefully you can tell us something!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:51 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Quote:
After getting Abilities you make them more powerful with study and practice.

I am wondering, will our abilities get stronger with the amount of time used ? Does using said ability on a training dummy increase its power ?
Also, about the study part, is it going to be a timer-based study, in the like of Eve Online's skill system ? ''Offline training'', in other words.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:05 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Hyperjudge wrote:
Quote:
After getting Abilities you make them more powerful with study and practice.

I am wondering, will our abilities get stronger with the amount of time used ? Does using said ability on a training dummy increase its power ?
Also, about the study part, is it going to be a timer-based study, in the like of Eve Online's skill system ? ''Offline training'', in other words.

No, nothing like that. You gain Study points by advancing your character, these represent time spent studying, and you apply them to Abilities you have and want to study. You may also improve an Ability by practice, which means using it. However, for each time you advance your character you can only improve the Ability the equivalent of one Study Point by practice, but as soon as you advance again, you may also practice again.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:16 pm 
Citadel Guardian

I see, though I'm not sure I completely understand the studying part. I guess I'll get it once I see it.

Is there any plans for training dummies ? I mean, every hero started practicing his skills on a dummy !

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:28 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Hyperjudge wrote:
I mean, every hero started practicing his skills on a dummy !

OH! THAT's why everyone wanted to team with me???

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:30 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Gnomes are so hard to hit, you sure are a good training buddy for accuracy !

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 1:34 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

This Gnome is gonna slowly morph into Jenemos I think.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:23 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Hyperjudge wrote:
I see, though I'm not sure I completely understand the studying part. I guess I'll get it once I see it.

Is there any plans for training dummies ? I mean, every hero started practicing his skills on a dummy !

I think you may be over thinking it. Let me try to explain. While your character lives, they can study. Instead of making you sit around somewhere reading an actual book... studying... we want you out playing. However, over the time that you are out in the world, we assume that your character did occasionally have moments to read his tombs of knowledge, like at night when he camps.

Each time your character advances a level, we give you a certain number of study tokens. These represent that time the character spent studying. You get to apply them to the Tombs of Knowledge that your character owns, thereby, telling the game where that character spent that study time. This advances the power of that Ability by that much.

Practicing is much more hands on. This just means use the Ability enough, and you can improve it the same as one point of Study time per level your character advances.

How about a practical example:

You have a psionic attack that causes fear in opponents. You go up a level, we give you four Study points. You decide to spend two of them studying that psionic attack. It gets better by two study points. You now start using that psionic attack on opponents, after enough uses, it goes up one more Study point just because you practice it. However, no matter how much you use it, it will not advance more by practice until you go up another level. You then get another four Study points. Let's stay you don't use any of them on the psionic attack. You can still improve that psionic ability by one point by now practicing it again.

Note: you cannot practice an Ability by just clicking on it, you must actually use it in a situation where it is needed.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities