CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Ability Questions
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:47 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Quick question, how would you practice a passive ability?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:53 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Easy enough, that passive Ability gets used. Example: Let's say you have a Ward (A Ward, in CoS, is something, often Passive, that you have on you to protect you from something). If that Ward was protecting you from slashing style damage, every time an opponent tried to slash you, and the Ward successfully helped keep you from taking that damage, you 'practiced' the Ward.

If, however, no opponents attempt to slash you for a length of time (or just not enough try), and you go up a level, your Ward against Slash attacks will not increase this time due to 'practice'.

I hope that answers your question.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:30 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

forgive me if its been answered already, i searched but I only found morphael's explanation on the abilities and points system.

We've been told that there isn't a traditional grind xp til you level system, but will there be a way to "level lock" so that we can at least try to get that point from slash attacks for our ward? Or does it not even really affect anything?

Post Posted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:31 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Lader wrote:
forgive me if its been answered already, i searched but I only found morphael's explanation on the abilities and points system.

We've been told that there isn't a traditional grind xp til you level system, but will there be a way to "level lock" so that we can at least try to get that point from slash attacks for our ward? Or does it not even really affect anything?

I think there is some confusion, mostly because there are aspects of our system still not revealed, so without all the pieces it is hard to understand.

Anyway, the short and unsatisfying answer is, there are always ways to work on leveling your character, even in CoS.

What Morphael was referring to is that standard grinding, meaning standing around killing the same mob over and over will not advance your level in a useful way. There are several reasons this is true, for one, mobs do not respawn. But there is another reason. Without going into the particulars, let me just explain it this way, killing monsters is only one aspect of leveling, so doing that insistently (grinding) cannot advance your character, not alone. There are other things you must also be doing. To even go further, without doing those other things, grinding at killing monsters becomes actually detrimental. More on why will come later.

But to answer your question, you can seek out monsters that do slashing damage in order to practice your Ward passive ability. You will just have to do other things as well to level properly, and not 'unbalance' your character.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities