CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:09 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I'd like to know the list of skills currently present in the game, that you are willing to release, if possible :).

I've always wanted to make myself some sort of vampire character in a MMO.

I nearly succeeded in TSW, but nerfs got the best of all my builds with time.

What I'd like to make, is a life sucking character (litterally draining blood, visually from his victims) during fights, which in turn heals me, but also have some kind of magical ability that let's me deflect some damages. Basically, how I envision a vampire, would be some mix of a blood mage and a paladin for a lack of better description.

I also like sneaking, while taking long range shots with bows, with a bit of magical crowd control.

I managed to make it kinda working in an elder scroll mod (by bringing some of lord's abilities into human form), but it's still not what I want just yet :).

I understand if you can not tell us all the abilities you are planning, but some of the great lines maybe?

Like for example: magic: Vampiric, electric, earth, fire, ice, summoning, etc.

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 8:19 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

They haven't talked much about what abilities are available mostly because they're still refining their list and they don't want to hype an ability that might get cut.

They have given a few examples like monster tracking and disguise.

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:28 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Aye, that they have.

What does intrigue me, is the 1900 or so abilities, not overlapping each others. It is said they do not overlap, and I'm really curious how so many abilities can not be redundant one another.

Let's take for example the fire spec in magic. There's only so much one can do with fire in my mind.

The typical example would be:

Flames/sustained burning,Fireball, firewall, firezone, fireshield, fire companion, firy weapons, fire aura, rain of fire. Appart from those, I don't really see what else can be added without being one of them. Maybe I misunderstand what as been said about not overlapping each others though :).

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 8:58 am 
Producer
Producer

If I asked you to make a compass out of a cup of water, a magnet and a needle your past experiences and knowledge would help you create that.

If I asked you to make an electromagnet out of different parts, depending on your past experiences, you might be able to accomplish that.

Now I want you to make a Large Hydron Collider. Chances are you aren't experienced enough with Particle Physics, Engineering, Math and all the other areas needed to build one.

That's a little like our system. To build within the system, you need to know how everything works in mind numbing detail.

Our game doesn't work on the premise that other games do. The main reason why we can create 1900+ abilities is because the system is designed to support it and wasn't an afterthought at the end of the game development lifecycle.

We've spent years designing, discussing, re-designing, re-discussing, tweaking, screaming, running away, weeping in a corner and crying ourselves to sleep.. and we're still not finished yet. It's a massive process that has driven many of us past the point of insanity :)

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:47 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

squishy wrote:
I'd like to know the list of skills currently present in the game, that you are willing to release, if possible :).

I've always wanted to make myself some sort of vampire character in a MMO.

I nearly succeeded in TSW, but nerfs got the best of all my builds with time.

What I'd like to make, is a life sucking character (litterally draining blood, visually from his victims) during fights, which in turn heals me, but also have some kind of magical ability that let's me deflect some damages. Basically, how I envision a vampire, would be some mix of a blood mage and a paladin for a lack of better description.

I also like sneaking, while taking long range shots with bows, with a bit of magical crowd control.

I managed to make it kinda working in an elder scroll mod (by bringing some of lord's abilities into human form), but it's still not what I want just yet :).

I understand if you can not tell us all the abilities you are planning, but some of the great lines maybe?

Like for example: magic: Vampiric, electric, earth, fire, ice, summoning, etc.

There will be no vampires in CoS, nor any other form of creature you have seen in other mythologies, so you won't be seeing any blood drinking character builds. CoS uses all new mythos for players and other races/monsters. Character builds in CoS are about the mix of Abilities you choose, as well as how much you practice and study each of the ones you have.

Now, that said, minus the blood sucking portion, yes, you can build a character that has some of what you are talking about. There are 'vampiric' abilities, though these are not for vampires or blood sucking. Things like gaining health while dealing damage.

We are not ready to release our list of Abilities yet, it is still being changed. This is an area that we are spending a lot of time in design, and we are just not ready to show it yet. We (of course) do not intend to 'nerf' things once we release the game. No game company actually plans to do that, they do it because they have to in most cases. Better and more design ahead of time can cut that down, or hopefully keep it from happening at all, and that's what we are attempting to do.

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:16 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Thank you for the answers :)

I can live without sucking the blood out of people, I guezss ^_^.

Your lore kept me awake for a while, while I was reading thru it, it is nothing short of amazing work you have already done, and going insane is not a bad thing, after all, every geniuses in our history were insane to society"s standard, so may you all bask in madness!

Post Posted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:56 pm 
Fallen Hero

You said that there are "vamprismic" abilities. Do these have their own paths, or are they spread through all the paths?
And will that apply to DoT and AoE to? will they have their own paths?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:29 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

There will be a spread of them through all Leagues, if that's what you are asking. There are no real 'paths', unless you are talking about an Echelon line. An Echelon is a series of seven Abilities that have something in common, but are not the same Ability.

Example: Let's look at a Fireball. The Echelon 2 of a 'Fire' line would not be a more powerful fireball, that is the same Ability. It would have to do something different, like explode on impact, rather than just harm the one target.

So, when talking about Echelon lines, if that is what you were asking about, then they will not necessarily be the entire line, but could be part of a single Ability in any line.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:52 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Can you talk about the stat-based skills/abilities yet or are those still hush hush?

"Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected."
~George Washington

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:58 pm 

They are still under wraps, because they are still reworking the skills. If they were to tell us that there was skill A that does x damage, but then later change it or even worse, remove it... then trust in their word would be impaired. That's the last thing they want. There are general concepts but the skills are still misty.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities