CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities

Post Posted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:23 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I am creating a new post, since i think it is a new subject, but how do you plan to modify skills after launch?

Basically, so far, all MMO had nerfs within the first year, because players managed to make godmode builds (guilty as charged in TSW, I had to demonstrate my builds to the devs on the test server as I was "disrupting" pvp events by being unkillable, not exploiting, just using the game skills ).

Those usually although justified, end up breaking abilities/rendering them useless, not necessarly because the nerf is too heavy, but simply because the reason it was being used for is no longer present.

How do you plan on dealing with this? Will you allow players to truly let their imagination roam wild and create godmode builds? With over 1900 skills that can be improved ad vitam eternam, this is bound to happen sooner or later.

Basically, several games promised us great customization on skills and abilities, being what we want to be, but if there are restrictions added over time, because players think of mixes that ends up being too powerful, well, the promise is not kept :).

I do understand how frustrating it was for the 25+ players all attacking me at the sametime, and everysingle one of them dying, but as far as the game promised, it was a valid experience and character build :).

This game seems to promise the great customization I've been dying for, but I'm worried about what'll happen in the future :). It is however hard to imagine the possiblities, while I do not yet know the kind of abilities and there effects in the game, so that'll still be a suprise :).

Tsw has for example, what I call secondary effects, because of the synergy system of their skills. An example would be, when the game launched, each time you receive a glancing hit, you get a 10 seconds heal over time. But with other skills and equipement, you could get other abilities/effect firing everytime a Hot was launched or had a critical hit. Which in turns, opened up to massively powerful builds if you spent time thinking about what you wanted to do. Now, they no longer work due to nerfing, which is when I stopped playing the game :(. Basically, you could end up with cascading effects of skills from a single glancing hit.

Will you have some sort of similar synergy system put in place? And do you intend to leave it as it is regardless of what the players come up with? Letting us go wild with our imagination, at the cost of having some builds being uberly powerful?

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:07 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

squishy wrote:
I am creating a new post, since i think it is a new subject, but how do you plan to modify skills after launch?

Basically, so far, all MMO had nerfs within the first year, because players managed to make godmode builds (guilty as charged in TSW, I had to demonstrate my builds to the devs on the test server as I was "disrupting" pvp events by being unkillable, not exploiting, just using the game skills ).

Those usually although justified, end up breaking abilities/rendering them useless, not necessarly because the nerf is too heavy, but simply because the reason it was being used for is no longer present.

How do you plan on dealing with this? Will you allow players to truly let their imagination roam wild and create godmode builds? With over 1900 skills that can be improved ad vitam eternam, this is bound to happen sooner or later.

Basically, several games promised us great customization on skills and abilities, being what we want to be, but if there are restrictions added over time, because players think of mixes that ends up being too powerful, well, the promise is not kept :).

I do understand how frustrating it was for the 25+ players all attacking me at the sametime, and everysingle one of them dying, but as far as the game promised, it was a valid experience and character build :).

This game seems to promise the great customization I've been dying for, but I'm worried about what'll happen in the future :). It is however hard to imagine the possiblities, while I do not yet know the kind of abilities and there effects in the game, so that'll still be a suprise :).

Tsw has for example, what I call secondary effects, because of the synergy system of their skills. An example would be, when the game launched, each time you receive a glancing hit, you get a 10 seconds heal over time. But with other skills and equipement, you could get other abilities/effect firing everytime a Hot was launched or had a critical hit. Which in turns, opened up to massively powerful builds if you spent time thinking about what you wanted to do. Now, they no longer work due to nerfing, which is when I stopped playing the game :(. Basically, you could end up with cascading effects of skills from a single glancing hit.

Will you have some sort of similar synergy system put in place? And do you intend to leave it as it is regardless of what the players come up with? Letting us go wild with our imagination, at the cost of having some builds being uberly powerful?

I do not agree with you completely on this statement...

"How do you plan on dealing with this? Will you allow players to truly let their imagination roam wild and create godmode builds? With over 1900 skills that can be improved ad vitam eternam, this is bound to happen sooner or later."

There will be very high level powerful characters, yes, but nothing in our game will be god like. Our system should preclude this from happening.

Now, as to your question, "Will we leave it as it is regardless of what the players come up with?"

No.

No game developer will promise you that. If, (and we are working VERY HARD to make sure this doesn't happen) we forget some loop hole that players exploit, and IF it is ruining the game, then yes, we will change things. Players hate that, and I agree with them, but to promise that we will never do it means that even if it ruins the game to the point where everyone stops playing and the game has to close down... or alternatively we have to fix an error... we will fix the error. And so, we will not make a promise not to improve the game if necessary.

You want developers to keep their promises, and then you ask us to make you a promise that could ruin the game. We prefer to not make a promise that we might not be able to keep.

We do promise to offer 1890 Abilities, and 105 Uber Abilities, and attempt to make them as perfect as possible to begin with so that we don't have to change anything. We also promise not to make changes to them for minor reasons, but for what we consider major reasons, we reserve the right to improve the game at any time.

You consider that changing abilities after a game releases is the developer breaking a promise. We are not making any such promise, so we have nothing to break. To our knowledge, Citadel of Sorcery is the most complex design in MMO game history, we are adding unprecedented depth of game play. To assume that in all of that complexity we get everything perfect, well, then we would be god like, and that is certainly not true, I mean, I made a mistake just the other day, the third one I've ever made!. :lol:

Post Posted: Thu May 16, 2013 3:47 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

A very good answer indeed, and I really thank you for it, although, the abilities/moves I had in mind were not to the point it actually broke the game, nor was it an exploit by any means :).

I just re-read your reply, and saw you said you will not let god mode builds in the game if one makes one, so I'll just delete what I had as a reply originally, as it became irrelevant :).

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities