CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities

Post subject: Abilities Update?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:12 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I know the team has been working hard on creating interesting, new, fun and varied abilities that can really increase tactics and playability. Any update on how that process is progressing? Still need more abiliities or do you have a good number of the abilities you desire already figured out?

Post subject: Re: Abilities Update?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:54 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Pellagren wrote:
I know the team has been working hard on creating interesting, new, fun and varied abilities that can really increase tactics and playability. Any update on how that process is progressing? Still need more abiliities or do you have a good number of the abilities you desire already figured out?

Well, we created a full set of abilities a few years back. These were based on looking at all the kinds of abilities we have seen in table top and computer games. After completing those, we set them aside and started over from scratch, this time trying to come up with new and different abilities. We had some success, but after making several hundred of these, we again put them aside and started over from scratch. This time we made a list of every kind of thing that a player could affect in the game, and did a more scientific approach to creating abilities, making sure each ability was unique, and that there weren't other ones that really only changed the same thing with a different name and particle effect.

By tacking Abilities from this standpoint we have now been able to progress significantly toward out end goal, 1890 abilities. We aren't finished yet... but due to the way we are systematically creating the abilities based off of this system, it does no good for people to submit ideas, that was two phases ago ;) We already have a list of what we intend to do, we're just working through the details of each one.

If you wonder where the number 1890 comes from, there are five leagues, seven Tiers, and 54 abilities per league per Tier.

Of course, this does not include our Uber abilities, but there will be far fewer of those. No, we're not willing to talk much about those yet :lol:

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:11 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Sounds good. I'm a scientific mind so I can appreciate when problems are solved in such a manner.

I wonder though, you have stated that you want all abilities to be unique. This is actually very, very difficult conceptually. I mean, really, any abilities that cause damage is somewhat the same. Of course you can count the type of damage being done, and include if it is melee, ranged or spell, etc...but they are all still just abilities that do damage.

I am certainly intrigued to see how you can truly make so many abilities actually unique. It will certainly do wonders for gameplay.

Another question for you regarding the abilities. I know that the abilities will have tiers and such, but will it be possible for high level characters to acquire all, most, half or only a fraction of all abilities? I think the best for gameplay, especially with such a large pool to choose from, is for players to only be able to develop and progress down a relatively small portion of the abilities. This helps to make playstyle more individual and the choices you make regarding gained abilities more important and long lasting. If you know that in a few hours you will get that next ability anyway, then the choice doesn't really matter cause you know you will get most of the abilities in the end. I always thought this genre would benefit from a truly expansivbe skill system where every decision counts in the long life of that character and one where you cannot acquire everything.

Keep up the good work!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:10 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Pellagren wrote:
Sounds good. I'm a scientific mind so I can appreciate when problems are solved in such a manner.

I wonder though, you have stated that you want all abilities to be unique. This is actually very, very difficult conceptually. I mean, really, any abilities that cause damage is somewhat the same. Of course you can count the type of damage being done, and include if it is melee, ranged or spell, etc...but they are all still just abilities that do damage.

I am certainly intrigued to see how you can truly make so many abilities actually unique. It will certainly do wonders for gameplay.

Another question for you regarding the abilities. I know that the abilities will have tiers and such, but will it be possible for high level characters to acquire all, most, half or only a fraction of all abilities? I think the best for gameplay, especially with such a large pool to choose from, is for players to only be able to develop and progress down a relatively small portion of the abilities. This helps to make playstyle more individual and the choices you make regarding gained abilities more important and long lasting. If you know that in a few hours you will get that next ability anyway, then the choice doesn't really matter cause you know you will get most of the abilities in the end. I always thought this genre would benefit from a truly expansivbe skill system where every decision counts in the long life of that character and one where you cannot acquire everything.

Keep up the good work!

Your wish is granted. Though it is possible for players to get a lot of the abilitiess, they would all be at incredibly low levels and therefore not very good. Players will tend to pick a smaller set of abilities so that they can improve them to fairly powerful. It is nearly impossible for any player to get all the abilities to any decent power level. Though I suppose after 20 real years of playing they might get there.

Post subject: Abilities Update
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:53 am 

thats the answer i was looking for. so its when u make them into hero abilities which i did taht they dont work.. okay. thanks GC. do u have any idea why though ?>

Post subject: Re: Abilities Update
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:16 pm 
Citadel Guardian

StephieB wrote:
thats the answer i was looking for. so its when u make them into hero abilities which i did taht they dont work.. okay. thanks GC. do u have any idea why though ?>

Errrr. What? Who is GC?

Post Posted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:02 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

CenCal wrote:
StephieB wrote:

Errrr. What? Who is GC?

Hmm...

God Complex?
Great Casper?
Generous Comrades?
Game Celebrities?
Glen Campbell?
Gary Cooper?
Get Creative?
Game Company?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:12 pm 
Fallen Hero

Gelatinous cube?

Post Posted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:32 pm 

Jatar wrote:
CenCal wrote:
StephieB wrote:

Errrr. What? Who is GC?

Hmm...

God Complex?
Great Casper?
Generous Comrades?
Game Celebrities?
Glen Campbell?
Gary Cooper?
Get Creative?
Game Company?

Either an attention seeker or someone who posted in the wrong forumn..... :)

Look Down.....

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities