CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities

Post subject: Re: Starting Abilities
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:34 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Very nice. If having 1800+ skills being utilized on a system like this doesn't make for the best possbile variety of character individuality of any online game created, I don't know what will :D .

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:54 am 
Citadel Guardian

Pryzt wrote:
AngelofChaos wrote:
And 10 starter abilities? Wow.. Never thought I would see THAT in a game. The most I've had is 3..

This may seem like a lot, but one should consider the fact that we are planning for 1800 abilities. It's a far lower percentage of abilities given to you at the start than WoW or Rift.

Well, I never played WoW.. (dumb and boring imo) and I played Rift beta for all of 10 minutes.. Even so, though, 10 abilities to start is pretty cool. And 1800 more just means I won't start off with abilities I don't really want anyway!!

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:03 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

the 10 starters, do we get to choose the 2 from each league or are they given to us? i would assume we get to choose, but you never know :P
also, what if theres a league we just have absolutely no interest in their abilities? do we have to pick those 2, or can we use those extra points in another league that would be better suited for the character?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:42 am 

Lader wrote:
the 10 starters, do we get to choose the 2 from each league or are they given to us? i would assume we get to choose, but you never know :P
also, what if theres a league we just have absolutely no interest in their abilities? do we have to pick those 2, or can we use those extra points in another league that would be better suited for the character?

Sounded like you have to quest for them, discover the tome or research them as was detailed by Jatar above.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:05 pm 
Producer
Producer

Lader wrote:

You don't choose the 10 starting abilities. The reason behind this is because we have to give you X number of abilities to start to cope with how the world works.

For example, we give you the Tracking ability because it's a very integral part of the game. If we let you choose and then you didn't take it, well, you would ruin your character right from the start.

The other starting abilities follow the same suit, though for reasons we haven't talked about yet. Don't worry, you'll have a chance to choose plenty of other abilities in the game and nobody forces you to put skill points into the starting abilities if you don't want to.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:31 pm 
Citadel Guardian

I like the concept of skills insead of levels. Ashron's Call went with the skill system and it did very well. The only thing that they were lacking on was usable trade skills. I've always hated the "cookie cutter" charaters that so many other RPGs have forced you into. Gain X level to get Y skill/spell. Blah! Skills and Skill Points are the way to go, really.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:29 pm 

Elderos wrote:
I like the concept of skills insead of levels. Ashron's Call went with the skill system and it did very well. The only thing that they were lacking on was usable trade skills. I've always hated the "cookie cutter" charaters that so many other RPGs have forced you into. Gain X level to get Y skill/spell. Blah! Skills and Skill Points are the way to go, really.

Levels still exist as well i think; You still have stats and hitpoints i believe as well as skills ............... I will call down one of those nasty gods I am ure they will confirm ior deny

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:35 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Yes, there are levels, but levels get you study points that you spend where you want to improve your character. There are also Stat points awarded, which you get to distribute. This means that this is a hybrid level/skill based system. However, you can also practice to get better at things. There is another part of this that we haven't released yet, something unique to our game world, but you'll have to wait for that last key element to be detailed later. We've hinted at this before, but we are still not ready to talk about it publicly.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:37 pm 
Fallen Hero

Jatar wrote:
There is another part of this that we haven't released yet, something unique to our game world, but you'll have to wait for that last key element to be detailed later. We've hinted at this before, but we are still not ready to talk about it publicly.

I am going insane. All these secrets... I just can't handle it. You guys are killing me!!!

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities