CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Quests

Post subject: Reading dialog in CoS
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:20 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

On our Chat system, one of our Patrons asked a question, which was:

Unitato: (in a previous post) You said "A Quest is a really big story, requiring you to pay attention or do poorly" when it comes to quests. well, some players actually don't like to read. are there possibly audio options, or specific markers of some sort that a player can at least still know what he needs to do without reading some long ass paragraph every time he talks to an NPC during a quest trying to figure out what he needs to do? I fall into that "next, next next, moving on" category, but that's because the dialogue is so amazingly boring and useless when you get a whole backstory on why you need to kill these 5 pigs.

So let me answer this by going over our system for telling a story, including any reading.

A Quest in CoS is a big story, that's true, but we SHOW you that story, you live through it, we don't make you read the darn thing! If something happened in the past, and you need to know about it, you go into the First Veil and SEE it replay from the past, you don't read about it. If something happens in a story, like someone is kidnapped, you generally see them getting kidnapped. We want you to witness things, not read about them.

Now, having said that, there are things that an NPC will need to tell you occasionally, but there are several important things to note here, first, they will never tell you some long and drawn out backstory that doesn't really matter. You can be assured that anything they say is IMPORTANT and you really do want to read it or you will likely fail in your quest. Secondly, the MOST you will need to read in ANY conversation is a three sentence single paragraph, and most of the time it will just be one sentence.

Finally, our NPC dialog system is kind of interesting in that it is not a tree system. You don't go through a bunch of back and forth dialog with an NPC. Instead, there is a list of subjects to choose from, and if you pick that subject, he tells you everything you need to know about it, and nothing extra.

So, you won't be reading much in CoS, and when you do read something, it will be short, to the point and very important.

Oh, and one more thing, we would never send you out to kill five pigs. That's a grocery list quest from another MMO, we don't do that stuff in CoS. If we send you out to kill something, it would be a horrible creature that is terrorizing an entire village. You would discover this is some creature being made by Morphael's minions, and have to discover who, where and why it is attacking this village, deal with the monster, and stop Morphael's minions from making more before they over run this entire kingdom with an army of these things. Just a small example.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:42 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

This is also what i'm most afraid for in CoS, getting bored with reading stuff...
I've been spoiled so much with the SWTOR and ESO dialogues, i'd even prefer a computer voice reading it for me then nothing i think :P

Well, i hope the short sentences and great storylines keep me from getting annoyed by reading all my quests :P

Post Posted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:38 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Timoca wrote:
This is also what i'm most afraid for in CoS, getting bored with reading stuff...
I've been spoiled so much with the SWTOR and ESO dialogues, i'd even prefer a computer voice reading it for me then nothing i think :P

Well, i hope the short sentences and great storylines keep me from getting annoyed by reading all my quests :P

Yikes! You missed my point completely. You won't be reading your quests, you will be experiencing them.

As for SWTOR, they give you three main paths through the game, and spent over 300 million so they could do a lot of voice over for those limited paths. In comparison, three paths through Cos wouldn't even do for one quest, and there are massive amounts of these storylines. For us to then do all these stories, we would need to spend a few billion dollars in comparison.

So we choose to NOT spend a few billion, and instead, we designed ways to show you things in the game rather than have you read about them. As for voice over, there will be quite a bit in CoS, but not billions of dollars worth. ;) Generally speaking, every NPC will speak at least some of what they say via voice over.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:15 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

ok, thats what i needed to know :)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:28 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Timoca wrote:
ok, thats what i needed to know :)

Good, I just wanted to clear this up, since from day one in the design we have been working HARD not to make people read much. The truth is, players don't want to read a wall of text, and generally they'll just skip it if they see one. If they wanted to read a novel, they would read a book. Our game is about being in a story, experiencing it as it unfolds, not reading about it.

My story writers may hate me, but as the Lead Designer I will not tolerate players having to read large amounts of text in our game!

Post Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:42 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Thats very important, Experiencing the whole game as thou you are really alive and witness things thoroughly so as to make the appropriate decisions based on your assumptions as to all the things you may have watched. Wonder how many will play the game with a mind set similar to that of Holmes or Watson or Styx or (from anime) Jin Yuichi or Kuga Yuma or Osamu or....

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:25 am 

Ive always felt that experience points took away from a game.

An experience should be something the players interact with, they feel, and overall have fun doing. I think Ultima Online pulled it off pretty good back in the day, but no game has really done it right. It will be something interesting to see in CoS.

Walls of text bored the bloody hell out of me and after the first character I would get the addon that just auto accepted the quest and been done with it. I dont see that happening here in CoS and thats a huge plus!

Post Posted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:12 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Akumawraith wrote:
Ive always felt that experience points took away from a game.

An experience should be something the players interact with, they feel, and overall have fun doing. I think Ultima Online pulled it off pretty good back in the day, but no game has really done it right. It will be something interesting to see in CoS.

Walls of text bored the bloody hell out of me and after the first character I would get the addon that just auto accepted the quest and been done with it. I dont see that happening here in CoS and thats a huge plus!

Very true. It is important to understand that we don't give out grocery list quests. Therefore, if we do have a character tell you something, and even though we will keep that as short as possible, what they say is critical to know. Players can't use a program that auto-accepts quests, well, they could, but what I should say is that this would cause them to do very poorly in the game.

If you have to read anything, what they say is vitally important for you to know. We have removed any fluff, and boiled things down to only the important facts.

Here is an example: You are on your way to meet with a King. Your assignment was to get this country back under the control of the Citadel. On the way there a group of warriors accosts you, and you speak to the leader. He says:

"We have important tidings! King Blesden is a tyrant! We believe he has been put under the control of one of Morphael's Dominators. It is our intention to assassinate him tomorrow, will you help us put an end to his evil?"

If you 'auto accept' you have now agreed to kill the King, but is that really something you want to do? What if they are lying to you? What if they are just mistaken? Now you have several facts you can try to confirm before making your decision. Is he really under the control of a Dominator? Should he be killed? Is he even evil? Are these revolutionaries misguided idiots? Or should you join them? Should you warn the King? Which will help to achieve your assignment?

Any 'Auto accept' does not take any of this into account, and without reading it, you have no idea of what the possibilities will be in your upcoming meeting with the King.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:20 pm 
Hero of the Citadel

You may have to pretend to join them and warn the king if the King's innocent or maybe you can try to find out the spy on whom the King's reliant upon, a spy working for Morphael, the King's got no idea he's the spy of course, or maybe the King is being evil to try to Join Morphael's army to do damage to Morphael,.... Auto-Play games never does hold any interest for me, always avoid auto-play games especially as anime's are far superior when compared to them. They put me to sleep instantly.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Quests