CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Quests

Post subject: Quest system review.
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:03 pm 
Fallen Hero

Quests

Quote:
Quests are the heart of the game play in Citadel of Sorcery, and you have our promise that there will not be even one grocery list type quest (fetch me some number of something, or deliver this to so-and-so). Instead, every quest was created by a writer, and is the equivalent of an entire novel series. These incredible stories are then run through our TrueQuesting system that takes the character’s previous history, and generates a custom version of the story tailored to that character. In addition, the actions and choices made by both the player and the game will change the way the quest unfolds. There is always an epic climax to the quest, where the outcome is dependent on what the player did along the way, and how they handle that climax.

It is very good idea to make quests fell like actual quests, and not tasks. I always had more fun levling up in games with pure mob grind then doing repetitive quests over and over, mostly alone.

Uniqueness and the feeling of a true quest is important, but tasks should not be disregarded, for some players also enjoy simple tasks with no major attachments. I'll bring to attention another game, Final Fantasy XIV that uses Quests and Leaves.

Quests fell interesting, they are not personal but very story driven and very very entertaining. But the world does not present enough of those. I'm the kind of person that follows 5 different Series, 30 different Manga and 6 different Anime at the same time, I enjoy good stories, even in games. Having my actions matter in the quests that I do may be important but it is not the most important thing, what matters it's the quality of the story being told. I'll neglect and delete any poor story without a second though.

Leaves are repeatable tasks that consist on Killing X and find Y on a certain Time Limit. There is a limit to how many a player can do per day. These is what most games call quests and I call tasks. Wile I enjoy stories, the rush of killing x monsters in a certain time frame for the sake of the reward is not bad. Variety is a key factor and these sort of "quests" should not be completely disregarded, wile a lot of ppl enjoy proper quests, from time to time players may also enjoy simple tasks.

Post subject: Re: Quest system review.
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:34 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

While there aren't "kill 10 monsters" quests, there are other quest and mission systems so that you don't do one thing. One close to what you're asking for is that you can go on monster trapping contracts if I recall right.

About the stories, they are written by actual writer to insure quality. You might want to check out the "tour" part of the website, you will get an idea of some of the different things you can be doing in game. If you read up more around the forum you will notice that you'll never be stuck with one thing as there are more gameplay choices than many other games.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:47 pm 
Fallen Hero

I already got to read those, and for that I am optimistic. I still wish to leave my emphasis and opinion on that matter. It is free information for the developers. Useful or not it is up to them :).

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:02 am 

Dragonhand wrote:
I already got to read those, and for that I am optimistic. I still wish to leave my emphasis and opinion on that matter. It is free information for the developers. Useful or not it is up to them :).

So in this game you have no choice as to what you delete and don't delete. You actions will dictate what happens next. The quests are driven by a requirement to progress. So the game may place a shiny dagger in a long forgotten ruin or in the pocket of an NPC.

Either way if you fail to get the dagger , the game system may immeduiatley or at a later date place a similar object in a Manor house on a dining table.

Eventually through actions you will get the dagger , if yoiu keep failing the game will eventually throw something at you that you achieve and the story will progress. No vast lists of quests just an evolving story. A slightly different system than the norm.

Look Down.....

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Quests