CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Quests

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:25 pm 
Fallen Hero

Question, will cut scenes be used during quests?
To what extent and quality?
How about Voice Acting?

Cut Scenes and Voice Acting can really add to the quality of story telling increasing immersion and better character interaction. But there is a limit, too many cinematics and the player will wish he was actually playing.

The true is, in all my years of gaming the only quests I gave my self the trouble to read was wile playing Final Fantasy XIV. Walls and Walls of text that took time and resources to build completely ignored by me and probably most players. In FFXIV the Quests at the very least had conversations, you would not be presented with a 3 page text that you could read or scroll/ignore. It was always a conversation between characters, in a cut scene, and I always cared to reed and understand the interaction between the characters in front of me. Some of them were voice acted and even had Cinematics, besides the cut scenes.

I enjoyed getting feed with that story, the same way I did wile playing Warcraft 3 (campaign).

But CoS will have a crap load of quests, getting voice acting to some/all + cut scenes to some/all is not an easy task. Properly done it's a great way to improve story telling.

So I wonder, will CoS have it? Some of it? None of it? Under consideration?

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:08 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Dragonhand wrote:
Question, will cut scenes be used during quests?
To what extent and quality?
How about Voice Acting?

Cut Scenes and Voice Acting can really add to the quality of story telling increasing immersion and better character interaction. But there is a limit, too many cinematics and the player will wish he was actually playing.

The true is, in all my years of gaming the only quests I gave my self the trouble to read was wile playing Final Fantasy XIV. Walls and Walls of text that took time and resources to build completely ignored by me and probably most players. In FFXIV the Quests at the very least had conversations, you would not be presented with a 3 page text that you could read or scroll/ignore. It was always a conversation between characters, in a cut scene, and I always cared to reed and understand the interaction between the characters in front of me. Some of them were voice acted and even had Cinematics, besides the cut scenes.

I enjoyed getting feed with that story, the same way I did wile playing Warcraft 3 (campaign).

But CoS will have a crap load of quests, getting voice acting to some/all + cut scenes to some/all is not an easy task. Properly done it's a great way to improve story telling.

So I wonder, will CoS have it? Some of it? None of it? Under consideration?

There will be no cut scenes anywhere in CoS. We're building a living world, cut scenes aren't a part of that. Look at your real life, do you get cut scenes stopping what you are doing? (No, commercials on TV don't count!).

As for voice acting, there will be some of that, but it will not be 100%. Our quests are too deep, and too plentiful to record that much audio content. It would drive the price of the game through the roof, and we'd have to pass that on to the players. I doubt you want that. ;)

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:29 pm 

I am glad to hear that! Suer cut scene can be nice in single player games! But bleh.... They should be used VERY sparingly in MMO's in my opinion.

Spend money on what matters, not that kind of fluff!

Voices are ok, but again. Are they really necessary? If the gameplay is there and if the stories are well written and engrossing then i dont mind reading.

I dont want no SWTOR repeat... It was fun but i want a REAL MMO!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:49 pm 
Fallen Hero

Senadin wrote:
I am glad to hear that! Suer cut scene can be nice in single player games! But bleh.... They should be used VERY sparingly in MMO's in my opinion.

Spend money on what matters, not that kind of fluff!

Voices are ok, but again. Are they really necessary? If the gameplay is there and if the stories are well written and engrossing then i dont mind reading.

I dont want no SWTOR repeat... It was fun but i want a REAL MMO!

In story telling cut scenes and voice acting are powerful tools, make no mistake of that, even in mmorpgs.
Not every game make good use of such tools, and not every game can make use of such tools due to its complexity.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:42 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Don't disregard what voice acting can take away either. By giving characters a voice, you take away the ability to imagine that voice. I'll probably always prefer the Nintendo method of having very small parts of voice but in general having noises, rather than an actual voice.

Also keep in mind that voice acting needs to be VERY high quality unless you want it to be a joke, and I think we can agree that no voices is better than bad voices...and good voice acting is really expensive...nevermind the size of the files that would be needed for all that audio for the crazy number of ways a single quest might play out.

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:21 am 

True, voice acting is powerful but the most powerful tool of all is your own imagination! I rather they keep the money for things that REALLY do matter! MMO's have been using the easy road last few years! Sure technology can enhance your game but making more fluff for your game does not make it better gameplay!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:20 am 
Fallen Hero

Senadin wrote:
True, voice acting is powerful but the most powerful tool of all is your own imagination! I rather they keep the money for things that REALLY do matter! MMO's have been using the easy road last few years! Sure technology can enhance your game but making more fluff for your game does not make it better gameplay!

That appears to be the case, some voice acting but there focus is on what matters mostly. It's a good road to follow.
But I hope they don't use those boards with text like in most game quests. Because ppl scroll down that without even reading... maybe some floating text dunno...

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:40 am 

Dragonhand wrote:
Senadin wrote:

That appears to be the case, some voice acting but there focus is on what matters mostly. It's a good road to follow.
But I hope they don't use those boards with text like in most game quests. Because ppl scroll down that without even reading... maybe some floating text dunno...

A bit of voice for major events and coming from Major in Game NPCs, could add a lot to the game when it isn't being overplayed. Jst really to signal that you are in trouble and should be planning a quick exit real sharp.

Or even key events in your development , like promotion to the Second Tier of the Citadel or momentous events that have been work for in real sweat and blood.

Lets not wish for something to be over done but , if done with care a bit of voice acting will go a long way.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:35 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Dragonhand wrote:
Senadin wrote:

Well, the most important point about this... I am really going to torture any Writer who even thinks about writing a wall of text in a quest... we want you living the adventure, not reading about it!

Post Posted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:20 pm 
Fallen Hero

Jatar wrote:
Dragonhand wrote:
Senadin wrote:

Well, the most important point about this... I am really going to torture any Writer who even thinks about writing a wall of text in a quest... we want you living the adventure, not reading about it!

Ahaha

These is what I really don't want to see, no one reads it. It is like the hours and resources spent building some sort of plot to the quests were for nothing cus every one, every single soul scrolls down and says accept, and then follows what the quest helper orders them to.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Quests