CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Quests

Post subject: Help with quests?
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:46 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I was wondering, since all quests are unique and will often include puzzles, will players be able to petition to a higher power if they get stuck and can't figure out what to do next?

Some of us don't always do so well with certain quests and often need a hint or two. :?

Post subject: Re: Help with quests?
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:53 am 

Lonfer wrote:
I was wondering, since all quests are unique and will often include puzzles, will players be able to petition to a higher power if they get stuck and can't figure out what to do next?

Some of us don't always do so well with certain quests and often need a hint or two. :?

It is expected that people will fail quests; And that subsequent ones will be generated from a players profile I think the whole concept here though is not about winning or failing but building up your charachter as you have played them. You can't physically fail forever and the world will move on and next time you have a chance to succeed in your own eyes (you can as long as you have learn't from experience).

That is my understanding , this game will not be vanilla whack a mole and that is what makes this so exciting. It has also been stated that there will be multiple ways to complete quests and none are really a failure they will just have different outcomes.

If I gain some coin ; experience and have a fun time I see none of what I play a failure. Being caught and imprisoned alongside a person you are trying to rescue in my eyes can be seen as charachter building, and just part of an ongoing story...............(Lets get it right we aren't going to have perma death).

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:07 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Lonfer wrote:

We can't really get into explaining all of this because we would have to give away too much at this stage. I can tell you some things though. Your path through a story will be unique, since your choices constantly change the path. The story was also affected in ways by your past, so it is personalized to you before you even get rolling. The story also changes in many other ways in the present (not just by your choice, but by the game making choices). It's all very complex... for the game, but very simple and fun for you to play. You won't see the thousands of things that went into the making of the quest, you'll just get to play the results of all that creation.

You will not be able to petition for help, nor will you need to do so. There are no points where you can get 'stuck'. You're thinking a little too much like other MMO games, where CoS does things differently. You cannot 'fail' and end a quest, nor get stuck at a puzzle and be unable to continue. You will NEVER need to go to a strategy guide for answers, nor petition any live person. The reason for this is simple, the story will progress no matter what you do. Your choices and whether you figure out a puzzle, or not, (that's a kind of choice), just move the story down a different path.

All paths lead to a climax of this quest, not the same one, sure, but a climax. There are no artificial choke points where you can get stuck. You are flowing through a big story like a novel that is writing itself based on things you do and things that happen, but you just keep going to the climax.

There are no failures. I know Isane said you can fail, but that's not quite right. We don't have failure, nor success, just what happens. Your actions, choices, past, etc. will all flavor what happens in your quest, and that will lead to the conclusion that is right for your story. It's not failure, it's your story.

No other game we know of does quests the way we do in CoS, it is one of the most unique parts of the game, and we're very proud of this system. The problem we run into is that players have no prior experience (how could they) with this kind of game play, and they can therefore only imagine the game based on what they have seen before. I guess the only real way people will understand is when they finally get to play the game! I'm looking forward to seeing all of you in our Reflected Worlds.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:39 am 

Jatar wrote:
Lonfer wrote:

We can't really get into explaining all of this because we would have to give away too much at this stage. I can tell you some things though. Your path through a story will be unique, since your choices constantly change the path. The story was also affected in ways by your past, so it is personalized to you before you even get rolling. The story also changes in many other ways in the present (not just by your choice, but by the game making choices). It's all very complex... for the game, but very simple and fun for you to play. You won't see the thousands of things that went into the making of the quest, you'll just get to play the results of all that creation.

You will not be able to petition for help, nor will you need to do so. There are no points where you can get 'stuck'. You're thinking a little too much like other MMO games, where CoS does things differently. You cannot 'fail' and end a quest, nor get stuck at a puzzle and be unable to continue. You will NEVER need to go to a strategy guide for answers, nor petition any live person. The reason for this is simple, the story will progress no matter what you do. Your choices and whether you figure out a puzzle, or not, (that's a kind of choice), just move the story down a different path.

All paths lead to a climax of this quest, not the same one, sure, but a climax. There are no artificial choke points where you can get stuck. You are flowing through a big story like a novel that is writing itself based on things you do and things that happen, but you just keep going to the climax.

There are no failures. I know Isane said you can fail, but that's not quite right. We don't have failure, nor success, just what happens. Your actions, choices, past, etc. will all flavor what happens in your quest, and that will lead to the conclusion that is right for your story. It's not failure, it's your story.

No other game we know of does quests the way we do in CoS, it is one of the most unique parts of the game, and we're very proud of this system. The problem we run into is that players have no prior experience (how could they) with this kind of game play, and they can therefore only imagine the game based on what they have seen before. I guess the only real way people will understand is when they finally get to play the game! I'm looking forward to seeing all of you in our Reflected Worlds.

Jatar you know how it really works; I didn't really mean fail what I meant was some people may perceive not completing an objective as a failure but the story rolls on.

Lonfer asks a good question though;

The way I see it though if the game wants to give you a main plot item with a main plot Charachter that charachter could keep escaping quests for a while and you will eventually get one quest where you end up with the item after multiple attempts that way you never really fail and eventually get to whatever the goal is.

Something like;

Quest A
Quest A; Started in "Town A" A "Citizen A" asks you to investigate disturbances in "Village A" offers a reward.
Quest A-1: "Main Plot Charachter" appears in a "Village A" (Introduction Charachter wounds you and runs off leaving you something to think about)
Quest A-2; You track down "Main Plot Characters Henchman" to a campsite (The site is riddled with traps and he has between 1-10 bouncers protecting him)
(A random "Note" or "item" is found at the camp ,
if you kill the Henchman you get a map to next stage
if he escapes you loot a chest left behind for note or clue)
Quest A-3; Your Return to "Town A"You have the Note Item assessed "Somewhere" and are told that the paper the note is written on is only made in a certain "Village B".
Quest A-4; You visit the "Village B" port to within a mile of the village B from "Town A" "12 Random Encounters are generated on route to village"
Quest A-5; Entering "Village B" after trip from A-4 , "Minor Plot NPC A" local Paper Maker
(When you ask "Minor Plot NPC A" to comment on paper he asks for help
"Quest A-5" (Sub Quest 1) Remove some vermin from Cellar where Order Book is stored"
)
Quest A-6; At "Village B" "Minor PLot NPC A" provides information on paper supplier but notices the "Note A" has a local Watermark from local "Castle A" up on the hill.
(If you don't have the ability to persuade "Minor Plot NPC A" to divulge Watermark
info the trail goes cold.
(Two other locals can associate the Note to the Castle if you fail to get the info its back
to Town A , Citizen A thanks you for trying or even sends you to "Castle A")
Quest A-7; Visiting "Castle A" ...........................

And I guess this can go on and on with lots more variables the only ones above are in Quotes but towns,villages, castles, ruins needs to be populates with generated NPCs to fiull the quest roles, hundreds of item types can be used to trigger next stages of quests and encounters and this can go on and on. I guess even if you dont end up at CAstle A you will have visited the Village A and encountered a Henchman (who now will be a nemesis while he lives if he didn't his boss could now be a nemesis without you even ever getting to Castle A and he will then appear in a later.

Anyway my mind is getting carried away but this is how i see it happening with lots of localles that quests can be generated against/within the size of a massive world.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:33 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:
There are no points where you can get 'stuck'. You're thinking a little too much like other MMO games

Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of single player games more than other massive online games. But your answer does clear things up for me, as usual. Thanx :D .

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:24 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Let me ask a simple Question

If i get a Quest to collect pizzas(which i truly hope i ll) can i also eat the pizzas i collect after storin up as much of them as i needa?????

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:28 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Isane...haha...that was great :)

Now you have an idea of what the minds of our writers feels like 24/7.

Luckily, as Jatar said, you guys don't have to worry about the contingencies. You just have to worry about not dying and doing whatever you want.

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom

Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:47 pm 

Raevyn wrote:
Isane...haha...that was great :)

Now you have an idea of what the minds of our writers feels like 24/7.

Luckily, as Jatar said, you guys don't have to worry about the contingencies. You just have to worry about not dying and doing whatever you want.

Hard to keep track Devil is touching all the old threads as a hoby. Yeah that reply above was from Mid 2011, logic is my thing so sadly I love working through process. Based on what Jatar has said and the way the game works it's enjoyable trying to understand. The game is the game but some of what you guys have designed is interesting as well.

Look Down.....

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Quests