CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds

Post subject: Re: Reflected Worlds?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:02 am 
Citadel Recruit

Hey there, it's been a year almost. I got back on the hype train after the castle system showcase on fb. That got me daydreaming about walking endlessly towards one direction, visiting villages, exploring caves , forests and raiding dungeons. Then i remembered about this RW issue i had. RW still turns me off as it removes that "One living world" feel for me but i suppose there's no way to handle all player in one big map, each one constantly changing the system. No mmorpg today can do that, they all have "a catch" like this. I still don't get how RW work exactly but i guess i won't understand it until actually playing or seeing someone play. Also, this might not be the right thread to ask, but i think it is somewhat relevant. How are you guys developing the world? I mean, initially, i thought you were going to procedurally generate castles, dungeons, cities, etc etc for the whole extent of the world. Seeing that this is impossible and that it was said that the nearer to the citadel, the more "civilized" it is, does it mean that after some distance to the citadel, there will only be lifeless environments (excepting trees and grass), untill content expansion is added? I hope it all works out, every news makes my day.

Vanish, and He'll make you shine like the sun.

Fall, and He'll raise you to the heavens.

Become nothing, and He'll turn you into everything."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:21 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

There's also the Community reflected world, one world were we all get to play together, but it's more teambased capturing castles and saving villages from what I've heard :)

But I'm sure Jatar will arrive soon to explain it all :P

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:09 pm 

Hey there, Mr Infinity. It's good to hear your interest has peaked again. There are a couple of questions here, so I will try to address them all.

For starters, there are 2 kinds of RWs. There is a main Community Reflected World (CRW) where everyone can join together in small groups to massive armies to work towards a common goal, like sieges and invasions. There is no content on a CRW that would make players compete for quest objectives, such as a respawning boss. Nothing respawns in CoS.

The other is the Story Reflected Worlds (SRW) where you and your party get your own worlds that follow your overarching story and each are changed according to what you do and have done in the past. This way, the story can have the depth and scale of a triple-A, single player campaign. The CRW will change and flow with the actions taking place only on the CRW, while we each have our own story going on in our personal SRWs

Now onto how the world is generated. The citadel itself is hand built, but the vast majority of castles and villages are procedurally generated. Even the AI net is generating custom NPCs with lives and means of sustaining their lives for each civilization. Once the places have been generated, if it's required to alter them for whatever reason, there is an incredibly powerful toolset that allows them to change practically everything.

And to your final comment "does it mean that after some distance to the citadel, there will only be lifeless environments (excepting trees and grass), untill content expansion is added?" in a sense, yes. There will still be places to explore out there, (as in vistas) but the further away you get, the more scarce things become. The quests are all hand crafted, so after a certain distance, there's simply nothing to do. This sounds like an issue, but the amount of space that WILL be populated with content is still absolutely enormous. The rest of the space out there is just so that there is room to expand, while staying on the same planet.

Hope this helped. :)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:46 pm 
Citadel Recruit

Thanks, both of you, i'm getting it. I think i am understanding. But the more answers i get, the more questions i have. Problems relating to the number of crw's per server, guildhall, housing and consistence, etc. But i feel like it's too complicated to explain this.

Vanish, and He'll make you shine like the sun.

Fall, and He'll raise you to the heavens.

Become nothing, and He'll turn you into everything."

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:48 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Mr Infinity wrote:
Thanks, both of you, i'm getting it. I think i am understanding. But the more answers i get, the more questions i have. Problems relating to the number of crw's per server, guildhall, housing and consistence, etc. But i feel like it's too complicated to explain this.

OK, let's start with CRWs per server... there are no assigned servers. So that question is sort of moot. It's as simple as, you are in a CRW or SRW, if you are not in a CRW that currently has someone with which you wish to adventure, just change to their CRW.

As for Guildhalls, these work like a CRW, but each Guildhall has it's own CRW. Therefore, any player may come to your Guildhall village (created by the players in the guild) and use the player run businesses. Housing and businesses are both in these villages.

Sorry, not sure what your question is about 'consistence'.

I do want to address something that you asked earlier, though. We will be generating castles, towers, ruins, dungeons, etc. across the entire planet. Some areas are currently developed by kingdoms, some are not. You don't just run out of civilization and go into unpopulated lands forever. It's more like there are many islands of civilization, we call these Territories. All Story driven content will take place (mostly) in Territories. However, IF you go exploring out in the wild between Territories it doesn't mean you won't find stuff. It's out there, just much less densely populated than in the Territories. You are more likely to find ruins, or monster-infested dungeons, or some mad wizard living in his tower, but not kingdoms and dense populations. You will find those in Territories. Each Territory is also BIG, as big as any MMORPG game you have likely played, and there are many.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:18 am 
Citadel Recruit

Thank you for answering. That last paragraph is extremely good news to me. What i originally meant to write was "guildhall, housing and npc consistence", meaning how each of these will diffuse throughout the RW's. Ok so, what i understood is that players can only build in guildhalls and these guildhalls can be place anywhere in a world. Now my questions. You said guildhalls act as CRW yet any players can visit them, meaning that there can be various guildhalls in a single RW? i.e if i build a guildhall in x mountain on x RW, will it magically appear on x mountain in y RW? Same goes for npc's and monsters. I'm actually getting the feeling that guildhalls are out in one open world but are also instanced in terms of playerbase. Anywhere i look i have questions. :cry:

Post Posted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:14 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Mr Infinity wrote:
Thank you for answering. That last paragraph is extremely good news to me. What i originally meant to write was "guildhall, housing and npc consistence", meaning how each of these will diffuse throughout the RW's. Ok so, what i understood is that players can only build in guildhalls and these guildhalls can be place anywhere in a world. Now my questions. You said guildhalls act as CRW yet any players can visit them, meaning that there can be various guildhalls in a single RW? i.e if i build a guildhall in x mountain on x RW, will it magically appear on x mountain in y RW? Same goes for npc's and monsters. I'm actually getting the feeling that guildhalls are out in one open world but are also instanced in terms of playerbase. Anywhere i look i have questions. :cry:

No, what I mean by 'they get their own CRW' is that the Guildhall only exists on the CRW where it was built, but any player can go to any CRW (so visit any Guildhall village). If it helps, just remember that a CRW or SRW is an entire planet in our mythos. There was once one planet, but it was duplicated a myriad of times in a catastrophic moment when the creation crystal was shattered. Now there are all of these worlds, duplicates, but over time they have different things happen on them (like a Guildhall built on one).

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Reflected Worlds