Fallen Hero

Will monsters fight with one another?

Post subject: Re: Monster vs. Monster
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:32 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Neverest wrote:
Will monsters fight with one another?

At times, yes. NPCs will fight NPCs as well. The depth of our stories require it.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:27 pm 
Fallen Hero

That's cool. It's kind of a bummer in games when I see two monsters, that should be mortal enemies, be completely oblivious of each other.

And it's just plain fun to watch the bad guys duke it out too.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:05 am 
Fallen Hero

I imagine that it will probably be possible for particularly clever players to set enemies against each other.

That armed fort suddenly becomes a lot easier to take down if a lot of maggotmen suddenly 'decide' to raid there. Now, how could that be done I wonder... :twisted:

Lack of a denial does not necessarily make an affirmation.

"Stop quoting laws to us. We carry swords."
Plutarch, "Life of Pompey", x, 2

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:35 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Heo Ashgah wrote:
I imagine that it will probably be possible for particularly clever players to set enemies against each other.

That armed fort suddenly becomes a lot easier to take down if a lot of maggotmen suddenly 'decide' to raid there. Now, how could that be done I wonder... :twisted:

That was a discussion we were having at a design meeting yesterday... those clever players. When is it a player being clever, and when it is a player taking advantage of a loop hole? Well, in this case, it would be being clever, since that is a good strategy to employ. Generally I think that part of the fun in any game is figuring out how to make their system work to your advantage. Knock yourselves out. If we decide that this is a loop hole that has to be closed, well, shame on us for leaving something in the design that can be exploited to a level where we have to change something. On the other hand, if you find ways to use the system to your advantage, and it doesn't 'break' anything... well, we're not going to 'fix' that, we'll just start using that idea when we play ;)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:23 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Another thing we discussed was...

If a player can do it, never forget that our AI will do it right back to you! We like our monsters to learn, and who better to learn from than all the players in our game?

Employ whatever strategy you can, because we will be trying to do the same thing to you!

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:39 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

"If we decide that this is a loop hole that has to be closed, well, shame on us for leaving something in the design that can be exploited to a level where we have to change something"

Must be the first time i see this. If it entails future omissions of "working as intended" and "responsible parties have been penalised accordingly (for our oversight)", well..

/applaud!

Post Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:15 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Raevyn wrote:
Another thing we discussed was...

If a player can do it, never forget that our AI will do it right back to you! We like our monsters to learn, and who better to learn from than all the players in our game?

Employ whatever strategy you can, because we will be trying to do the same thing to you!

Interesting. This could result in me being too smart for my own good :(

Post Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:51 am 
Hero of the Citadel

this means i can act as a spy amidst the mobs and help them out also?????
to kill each other that is....

Post subject: Re: Jatar
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:17 pm 
Citadel Guardian

Jatar wrote:
Heo Ashgah wrote:

That was a discussion we were having at a design meeting yesterday... those clever players. When is it a player being clever, and when it is a player taking advantage of a loop hole? Well, in this case, it would be being clever, since that is a good strategy to employ. Generally I think that part of the fun in any game is figuring out how to make their system work to your advantage. Knock yourselves out. If we decide that this is a loop hole that has to be closed, well, shame on us for leaving something in the design that can be exploited to a level where we have to change something. On the other hand, if you find ways to use the system to your advantage, and it doesn't 'break' anything... well, we're not going to 'fix' that, we'll just start using that idea when we play ;)

One of my favorite features of classic Doom was the ability to get monsters to fight one another. If you could find just the right position with the right viewpoint ... bam, I've got a monster fight and a fun LMAO moment. :lol:

:) Please let there be such opportunities in Citadel of Sorcery. That would be fun.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Monsters