Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Monsters

Post subject: Re: Jatar
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:48 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Lunging Wolf wrote:
Jatar wrote:
Heo Ashgah wrote:
I imagine that it will probably be possible for particularly clever players to set enemies against each other.

That armed fort suddenly becomes a lot easier to take down if a lot of maggotmen suddenly 'decide' to raid there. Now, how could that be done I wonder... :twisted:

That was a discussion we were having at a design meeting yesterday... those clever players. When is it a player being clever, and when it is a player taking advantage of a loop hole? Well, in this case, it would be being clever, since that is a good strategy to employ. Generally I think that part of the fun in any game is figuring out how to make their system work to your advantage. Knock yourselves out. If we decide that this is a loop hole that has to be closed, well, shame on us for leaving something in the design that can be exploited to a level where we have to change something. On the other hand, if you find ways to use the system to your advantage, and it doesn't 'break' anything... well, we're not going to 'fix' that, we'll just start using that idea when we play ;)

One of my favorite features of classic Doom was the ability to get monsters to fight one another. If you could find just the right position with the right viewpoint ... bam, I've got a monster fight and a fun LMAO moment. :lol:

:) Please let there be such opportunities in Citadel of Sorcery. That would be fun.

One of my favorite things in the doom games was in the first quake I got a zombie to attack one of those melee things with the large arms. Then I would watch as that monster endlessly mauled the zombie on the ground attempting to kill it.

Post subject: Re: Monster vs. Monster
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:06 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Well, this is quite interesting, and as usual a different way to approach things.

So, if we witness several mobs going at each others, it'll be possible to hide, fire a couple of well placed arrows, and hopefully not be noticed by anyone? Or add a couple of magical thingies here and there to tip the balance from one side to the other, until a more manageable amount of foes remains?

One thing that always bothered me in most RPG's, is that if you cast an offensive AOE spell, which does not indicate which direction the caster casted from, even if hidden, the mobs converged on the caster regardless. I take it in COS, we'll be able to cast some things from the shadows, and possible remain hidden/undetected while doing so? :D

Post subject: Re: Monster vs. Monster
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:34 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

squishy wrote:
Well, this is quite interesting, and as usual a different way to approach things.

So, if we witness several mobs going at each others, it'll be possible to hide, fire a couple of well placed arrows, and hopefully not be noticed by anyone? Or add a couple of magical thingies here and there to tip the balance from one side to the other, until a more manageable amount of foes remains?

One thing that always bothered me in most RPG's, is that if you cast an offensive AOE spell, which does not indicate which direction the caster casted from, even if hidden, the mobs converged on the caster regardless. I take it in COS, we'll be able to cast some things from the shadows, and possible remain hidden/undetected while doing so? :D

Indeed. You may stay hidden and cast spells as long as that Ability does not show something that leads back to you. And yes, you can influence two mobs fighting if you are careful.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Monsters