CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Monsters

Post subject: Re: Classes of Monsters
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:34 pm 
Fallen Hero

Jatar wrote:
Neverest wrote:
Jatar wrote:
Monsters are given an objective in an area where they are getting depleted, and move into that area to accomplish those objectives.

What kind of things might happen if the monsters are not stopped from accomplishing their objectives?

Pretty simple, to stop them you would need to kill them, get them on your trail or drive them off. If you drive them off they would either pick a new objective, or decide that you are a pain in their ass, and set about tracking you down or laying a trap to take you out. If you got them on your trail (either way) then you'll have to lose them, find help, or fight.

This is a simple example, though there may be other things that happen on occasion as well (like they join another group of monsters, or wait for reinforcements).

This is a really cool idea. I can't think of another game, that wasn't totally scripted, where a monster decided that I was a big enough pain in the ass that he had to round up his buddies to settle the score. I'm looking forward to getting all sorts of baddies pissed off at me now 8-)

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:00 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Neverest wrote:
This is a really cool idea. I can't think of another game, that wasn't totally scripted, where a monster decided that I was a big enough pain in the ass that he had to round up his buddies to settle the score. I'm looking forward to getting all sorts of baddies pissed off at me now 8-)

Glad you like the concept. One thing to do when considering how things might work in CoS is to imagine what you might expect a group of monsters (or people) to do in a given situation, but don't base that on what you have seen in other games, base it on what you would really expect them to do. That's going to be closer to the truth than what you have experienced in other games. We approached each design element in CoS from that basis... what would be logical for them to do? Why can't we have them do that? And what do we need to add to achieve that realism?

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:44 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:
Neverest wrote:

Glad you like the concept. One thing to do when considering how things might work in CoS is to imagine what you might expect a group of monsters (or people) to do in a given situation, but don't base that on what you have seen in other games, base it on what you would really expect them to do. That's going to be closer to the truth than what you have experienced in other games. We approached each design element in CoS from that basis... what would be logical for them to do? Why can't we have them do that? And what do we need to add to achieve that realism?

what would be logical for them to do ? An angry mob
Why can't we have them do that ? This makes them to enemies of the citadel
And what do we need to add to achieve that realism ? Torches

Post Posted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:25 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:
Neverest wrote:
Jatar wrote:
Monsters are given an objective in an area where they are getting depleted, and move into that area to accomplish those objectives.

What kind of things might happen if the monsters are not stopped from accomplishing their objectives?

Pretty simple, to stop them you would need to kill them, get them on your trail or drive them off. If you drive them off they would either pick a new objective, or decide that you are a pain in their ass, and set about tracking you down or laying a trap to take you out. If you got them on your trail (either way) then you'll have to lose them, find help, or fight.

This is a simple example, though there may be other things that happen on occasion as well (like they join another group of monsters, or wait for reinforcements).

This is just awsome. While I realize this type of thing is the core of what CoS is building (a living breathing world) it's still just amazing. This is the type of thing that, in my most hubmle of opinions, will revolutionize MMO's. I'm amzed not only as a future player of the game, but also as somebody putting thier foot into game making, and looking at something far beyond the scope of anythng i have worked on, or even really seen in terms of AI implentation and general game operations. My hat's off to you, and your team Jatar :)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:41 pm 
Fallen Hero

Morphael won't like that you called it Jatar's team...

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:38 pm 
Producer
Producer

Mystic wrote:
Morphael won't like that you called it Jatar's team...

Jatar is the Lead Game Designer and above me in the pecking order. He can call me a foot stool if he wants to :)

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:06 am 
Fallen Hero

Can I call you a foot stool? :lol: :D

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:33 am 
Producer
Producer

Mystic wrote:
Can I call you a foot stool? :lol: :D

No :P

Post Posted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:27 am 
Fallen Hero

Hmphh :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:10 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

foot stool is u Official Nickname !!! Now and Forever !!!
hahahahahahahaha
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Monsters