CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Monsters

Post subject: More please?
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:14 pm 
Fallen Hero

It's been a while since we talked about monsters. Every so often the name of a new nasty pops up and I was wondering if we could get a little lore, and maybe some concept art, like we did over here: http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=102

So far I've seen mention of the following to make the lives of Fallen Heroes more exciting:

Demons
Dark Spawn and Dark Defiled
Grim and Radiant Spirits
the Recreated
Maggotmen, Pagrimis, and Infestings (oh my)
the Fay Races
and Many More

Anything you have the time and ability to share would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: More please?
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:55 pm 
Citadel Guardian

I do believe most of these monsters (demons, the Spirits, Morphael's minions) are covered lore-wise on the CoS site.

The Fay Races are most likely your typical mythical creatures that run amok and have their origins from nature, though one can't be sure with Jatar scripting things. :P

Concept Art of any kind is always appreciated, even for things like architecture and clothing.

"Happiness and moral duty are inseparably connected."
~George Washington

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:56 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Neverest wrote:
It's been a while since we talked about monsters. Every so often the name of a new nasty pops up and I was wondering if we could get a little lore, and maybe some concept art, like we did over here: http://www.citadelofsorcery.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=102

So far I've seen mention of the following to make the lives of Fallen Heroes more exciting:

Demons
Dark Spawn and Dark Defiled
Grim and Radiant Spirits
the Recreated
Maggotmen, Pagrimis, and Infestings (oh my)
the Fay Races
and Many More

Anything you have the time and ability to share would be appreciated!

Sorry, but we have to keep the lore about monsters kind of secret. There is a place where you can get previews of monsters once you get to the game, we call it the Menagerie. You can go in and see some of the monsters that have been captured by your fellow Fallen Heroes and delivered to the Menagerie. The ones on display that day have some information that goes into your Journal when you visit their cage in the Menagerie. But, you'll have to wait to learn more about all the various creatures, we want players to discover it, rather than tell you about it. Many of the monsters have quite a bit of Lore behind them, much to discover. You can even take monster trapping jobs from the Menagerie (between your big Quests or Missions) and hunt down and capture monsters for display to other Fallen Heroes.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:20 pm 
Fallen Hero

Jatar wrote:
Sorry, but we have to keep the lore about monsters kind of secret. There is a place where you can get previews of monsters once you get to the game, we call it the Menagerie. You can go in and see some of the monsters that have been captured by your fellow Fallen Heroes and delivered to the Menagerie. The ones on display that day have some information that goes into your Journal when you visit their cage in the Menagerie. But, you'll have to wait to learn more about all the various creatures, we want players to discover it, rather than tell you about it. Many of the monsters have quite a bit of Lore behind them, much to discover. You can even take monster trapping jobs from the Menagerie (between your big Quests or Missions) and hunt down and capture monsters for display to other Fallen Heroes.

Cool concept! Monster trapping for the Menagerie sounds like fun. Thanks for the pic too.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:39 pm 

Neverest wrote:
Jatar wrote:

Cool concept! Monster trapping for the Menagerie sounds like fun. Thanks for the pic too.

That looks lik Jatar in the cage , now we know !!!

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:23 am 
Team Member
Team Member

That is a cool concept; I've played Monster Hunter 3, and I loved it.

To have something in a similar vein of game play would be great, as a diversion. :D

But do these monsters have limited housing available in the Menagerie? What happens to the ones that have been there longer? Do they get evicted, or ...meatified?

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 4:30 am 
Citadel Guardian

Monster hunting lol? I seriously can't wait for this game

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:56 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Isane wrote:
That looks lik Jatar in the cage , now we know !!!

Sorry, that's me in the lower right outside the cage, but you are correct about the maggoyle looking something like a gargoyle, you see their method of procreation involves some disgusting ways of eating their foes, and their offspring partially having some similar traits to their food, in a maggoty way. :shock: You do have to be dead for them to snack on you though.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:12 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Those look like cages...with wooden doors.. This should end well... :P

Maybe there will be some escapes, and mayhem every now and then.. And then, a cage gains vacancy... due to ..... complications.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:23 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

MyGoodFellow wrote:
That is a cool concept; I've played Monster Hunter 3, and I loved it.

To have something in a similar vein of game play would be great, as a diversion. :D

But do these monsters have limited housing available in the Menagerie? What happens to the ones that have been there longer? Do they get evicted, or ...meatified?

Well, beneath the Menagerie are the storage cells. This goes pretty deep underground, so lots of storage space. Monsters are brought up to populate the cages each day (so that new ones are available to view).

As for overcrowding... well, the Citadel is not a nice place, not under the Eyes of Darkness, so overcrowding is easily handled with either executions, or perhaps spicing up the Arena combat by introducing a few monsters in with the gladiators (players) who are busy fighting each other for sport. For executions, there is a nice guillotine out behind the Jail.

I headed over and decided to pull the rope on a Maggotman execution, what fun! See below.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Monsters