CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:11 am 

I was looking around and thinking.

I see alot on combat, yet not much on Hand to Hand combat styles. Its common sense that before most people in history ever picked up a weapon to train they first had to learn hand to hand combat.

Originally There werent weapons. There was only you, me and our butts on the line. slugging it out was how things were handled.

In our world we have the different assassin style combat roles that were meant to get one into an area, kill the target and exit the area without being detected. There were the sword breaker styles of combat from Asia which were considered the pinnacle of hand to hand combat that has been lost to history. the kung fu's and kenpo styles, wrestling, boxing, Thai kick boxing.. these are all forms of hand to hand combat that are just as deadly as using a weapon. Mediation technique styles like aidido are uselful if you are trying to not make too much of a bloody mess :p.

I am curious if there has been any thought on this.

Is common sense that People will learn to fight without weapons long before they ever touch a real one.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:00 am 

I would have thought mindless brutalizing would have been the norm until weapons "civilized" combat, forcing the need for technique over strength. I agree there's a severe lack of unarmed combat in games, although the wrestler without the sword is the scared one. Combat will still be almost exclusively with weapons, so unarmed combat will only be used in very specific scenarios.

"This weapon is your life!"
- Obi-Wan Kenobi

Post Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 10:39 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

The problem with hand to hand combat in games is a technical one. There really is no actual interaction between you and your opponent in a game. It's as if you are each fighting someone you cannot see or touch. That is the reality of current technology. Hence, it makes it hard to make hand to hand combat look very good since you can't touch your opponent. Generally, weapons are easier to fake because something like a sword can pass close to or through the opponent and look all right (even though, again, that opponent might as well not be there).

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:20 pm 
Citadel Recruit

What about glovelike weapons? Do you guys plan on having something like that, similar to hand combat? A punching skill set? That's something many players (including me) love.

Vanish, and He'll make you shine like the sun.

Fall, and He'll raise you to the heavens.

Become nothing, and He'll turn you into everything."

Post Posted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:02 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Possibly, not sure yet.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat