CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:57 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

After playing Dark Souls 2, I have now fallen in love with whips as a weapon. I am crossing my fingers in hopes that they will be in CoS.

But I was on a forum for another upcoming MMO, and they said the difficulty with implementing whips is that the more moving parts a weapon has, the harder it is to implement, and whips are nothing but moving parts.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:53 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

One weapon that I would absolutely love to be included in any MMORPG game would be a Ring blade such as that used in the Soul Calibur series. To have legitmate maneuvers to block, dodge, throw, retrieve, swing. I can just picture wonderful animations in game in an RPG style, non console style.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:53 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

No promises on these and similar weapons. It is extremely difficult to deal with them. Example, no bolas. These have too many moving parts, as well as interacting on impact with various shape opponents, this could only be done with high detail collision and real time physics.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:54 am 

What about thrown weapons Jatar? like Shuriken, Caltrops, or daggers?

I was thinking about the ranged attacks and have very few memories of MMOs actually using throwing weapons as an attack like for example Rogues in WoW have an ability to throw a dagger, but its not really a good ability as its not used often.

Speaking of that, I understand we will have our main weapons. Any plans for secondary or back up weapons that we can switch to in the heat of combat?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:38 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I personally find it quite unrealistic when your character is able to have "two" weapons equipped, or even a single handed weapon and shield on one slot, then by pressing ~ you're able to switch to your secondary weapon which may be a bow and arrow, a dagger, a two handed sword/mace, etc. However, when you switch weapons, somehow your other set magically disappears into your "bag". you're carrying a sword/shield, wielding them (skillfully?), and your opponent starts running faster than you, so you have to catch him with a staggering ranged shot to slow him down. You switch to your bow, aim, and fire. Wait, what happened to that shield you just had? where did it go? is it on your back? (some games at least try to do something like this, but so few as to why i'm even making a statement about it)

I'd love to see a game that requires a player to craft/purchase/obtain a holster for said weapon. A player could be able to wield his weapon, but unless he has a holster for it, must hold it or set it down. but with different styles of holsters, say one for polearm, one for sword, one for dagger, one for bow, (I.e. things that don't overlap on same spots) can allow a player to actively carry 3 or more weapons to switch from if the player wanted.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:04 pm 

Unitato wrote:
I personally find it quite unrealistic when your character is able to have "two" weapons equipped, or even a single handed weapon and shield on one slot, then by pressing ~ you're able to switch to your secondary weapon which may be a bow and arrow, a dagger, a two handed sword/mace, etc. However, when you switch weapons, somehow your other set magically disappears into your "bag". you're carrying a sword/shield, wielding them (skillfully?), and your opponent starts running faster than you, so you have to catch him with a staggering ranged shot to slow him down. You switch to your bow, aim, and fire. Wait, what happened to that shield you just had? where did it go? is it on your back? (some games at least try to do something like this, but so few as to why i'm even making a statement about it)

I'd love to see a game that requires a player to craft/purchase/obtain a holster for said weapon. A player could be able to wield his weapon, but unless he has a holster for it, must hold it or set it down. but with different styles of holsters, say one for polearm, one for sword, one for dagger, one for bow, (I.e. things that don't overlap on same spots) can allow a player to actively carry 3 or more weapons to switch from if the player wanted.

I dunno, I personally own two swords as well as fire arms and can equip them all. Long sword over my right shoulder, Fluer de lis on left hip, holster on right hip. Its not hard to switch sword to left hand or dual wield and plant a sword and draw pistol. Its actually pretty easy to do. I dont know why it would seem unrealistic?

Even Harrison Ford in Indiana Jones used a pistol when he had a whip out. back up weapons are actually pretty common throughout history even in sword duels a dagger or dirk wasnt odd to see.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:04 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

CoS uses a system that shows a player how long it will take to switch any gear, but everything has a time cost. Therefore, you can change to a bow, but that might take eight seconds, which is forever in the heat of battle. Likewise, if you want to swim across that river and you have heavy armor on, it could take a couple minutes to take it off, and if a pack of monsters is chasing you that is an issue, because you are more like an anchor than a log with plate mail.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:21 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Wonder if we will use daggers or dirks or any other type of blade... will be happy to see the character using a Sheath or some holster to place the blade into thou, will wear a mage robe and do stealth kills also probably,...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:02 pm 
Fallen Hero

MINUTES! I understand 8 seconds, but minutes to change armor... that's forever.

Is that like, oh, I need to cross this river but I have to swim to avoid detection. *Takes Off Armor* Goes to bathroom for the wait. *Crosses River* *Puts Armor Back On* Listens on Pandora to a couple of songs as I change.

When you say minutes, do you mean minutes of an animation playing where I can't do anything else but sit there on the slim chance I get attacked?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:46 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Yes, we mean minutes to wait. Changing out of plate armor is an extreme example, you won't be doing that often. Use a bridge, boat or ford to cross a river and leave your armor on. We're tired of unrealistic games where characters who weigh as much as a small car can swim, or change clothes in two seconds. Plan ahead, like people really do when crossing a river.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat