CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat

Post subject: Combat Pacing
 Post Posted: Wed May 06, 2015 7:37 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

We were discussing this a bit on AltMe, but I'd think the forums are a better place to go into detail.

So combat in CoS is supposed to be highly strategic due to its advanced AI. Monsters can set traps, lead you into an ambush, disguise themselves, and other things. Players have ways to deal with this, they can scout the area, or use a detection spell, or set their own traps, ect. My concern comes from the amount of time this will take. It seems like every group of monsters the player will encounter will come with a checklist of things the player may have to deal with and have deadly consequences if they ignore them. It feels like this get tiring pretty quickly. I can see myself encountering a group of monsters in a dungeon, and just groaning because of all the precautions one needs to take.

So what are you guys' thoughts on the matter? Are you excited for the slower-paced combat or worried it might become too tedious too?

Post subject: Re: Combat Pacing
 Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 12:07 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Antilurker77 wrote:
We were discussing this a bit on AltMe, but I'd think the forums are a better place to go into detail.

So combat in CoS is supposed to be highly strategic due to its advanced AI. Monsters can set traps, lead you into an ambush, disguise themselves, and other things. Players have ways to deal with this, they can scout the area, or use a detection spell, or set their own traps, ect. My concern comes from the amount of time this will take. It seems like every group of monsters the player will encounter will come with a checklist of things the player may have to deal with and have deadly consequences if they ignore them. It feels like this get tiring pretty quickly. I can see myself encountering a group of monsters in a dungeon, and just groaning because of all the precautions one needs to take.

So what are you guys' thoughts on the matter? Are you excited for the slower-paced combat or worried it might become too tedious too?

Unfortunately, this does not represent combat in CoS very accurately, so answers will be skewed. When you run into a group of monsters in a dungeon, it is unlikely there will be much time at all to take precautions, they would attack and you would have to deal with it. What you are referring to is a different situation, where you come upon an odd situation, and because it seems odd it could very well be a trap. In that case you have methods of scouting the location prior to charging in and getting killed.

Our monsters think, and they plan strategies at times, but this is based on their level of intelligence, so there is a wide range of situations from dumb run at you monsters, to lure you into a trap types. Each situation is different, so no one strategy will do. Sometimes spending too much time trying to analyze a situation will allow monsters to detect you, and attack, or send some of their companions around behind you.

The main thing to remember about our combat is that it changes with the terrain the circumstances and the type of monster you are dealing with. It is up to the players to gain good information about the area, types of monsters, etc., and for players to try to quickly decide on an action, and take that action.

Post subject: Re: Combat Pacing
 Post Posted: Thu May 07, 2015 4:48 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:
In that case you have methods of scouting the location prior to charging in and getting killed.

I'm sorry, but I find this statement absolutely hilarious.

But in efforts to appeal to the topic at hand and not seem too off topic:
Obviously I "agree" with Jatar, as it is his game, and he should know, but my thoughts are that Jatar and the team have been diligently working these past years in efforts to prevent tedious tasks. I would presume that all manner of "checklists" to cover when confronting a monster or group of monsters have been obliterated in the design phase. We haven't seen a complete list of available skills, and I don't know if "trap" skills have been discussed in depth at all. I think a "trap" is more equatable to friends lying in wait behind trees and you bait the monsters in rather than laying a bear trap in multiple locations and trying to kite a monster into them. This of course has been discussed multiple times, trying to kite monsters and I believe it's quickly within actual game play that monster intelligence reaches a general level at which you can't actually kite like you would in ALL the other MMORPGstylegames.

Did I nail it or what?

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Combat