CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Shadow Arena

Post subject: Re: The Arena
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:45 am 

I understand that you do not wish to make this game an Open World PvP game. However, with such a massive storyline unfolding, would there not be instances in which war was waged between 2 or more NPC factions? For instance, if one race truly despises another (I have not read the lore...) there may be an enormous amount of tension between them. If a specific inciting event occurs (possibly by a player of one of those races completing a quest) that leads to violence, there would naturally be a conflict/war. The scale of the conflict/war can change depending on the inciting incident and the responses. If this were to happen, would players be able to join in, pick a side and help determine the outcome of the battle? If so, would the players be unable to attack each other?

If you are truly dead set on keeping the PvP out of the open world... perhaps if a war were to occur, the players could choose sides from within the arena. the war would be waged there, and the victorious side would win spoils such as contested land (for the NPCs), honor (for the players), etc.

I have not combed through the entirety of the forums, but if this has been posted/answered elsewhere, please just link me the thread!

I am really looking forward to this game, and as a hardcore PvP junkie, I just want as much information as I can get. Thanks for your time!

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:46 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

No, that wouldn't happen because you're story is in it's own reflected world. While two factions may be at war in your world, they might be best buddies in another.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:54 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

To rephrase a little, players will be in various Reflected Worlds (they don't own one, nor are they restricted to one RW). However, it is correct that you may be on an RW alone, or with just your party. But let's look at a case were you are on an RW with lots of other players, what we call a community RW. In this case there could be a war between two factions, but in this case you are part of the Citadel, as are all players, and as part of their army you are on the side they chose, as are the other players. Therefore we do not need open world PVP.

Cos will feature a rich PVP arena system, and that arena can be many things, including out on the various terrain biomes. Its just that you will know you are in PVP at that time, and players doing other types of game play don't have to participate in PVP when they don't want to.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:47 pm 
Fallen Hero

Would the Citadel get involved if the Waerians and the Verduren got into a war? Would they even pick a side?

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:19 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

This wouldn't happen, there is a much worse threat to everyone, Morphael. In this case the old saying applies, the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:23 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Look, it's simple, we don't want open world PVP, so we will not create any situations where it is needed. End of story. There is no need to keep posting 'what if' scenarios. ;)

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:45 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

wait, but there IS one "what if" scenario that matters still.

What if the design team decided they wanted to introduce open world pvp? What would happen then?

oh, that's deep.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:39 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Unitato wrote:

What if the design team decided they wanted to introduce open world pvp? What would happen then?

oh, that's deep.

I lead the design team... so, unless there is a coup, and I'm assassinated, don't hold your breath. :)

Post Posted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:21 pm 

Jatar wrote:
Unitato wrote:

oh, that's deep.

I lead the design team... so, unless there is a coup, and I'm assassinated, don't hold your breath. :)

LMAO It's good to be the king!

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Shadow Arena