CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Shadow Arena

Post subject: The Arena
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:16 pm 
Fallen Hero

Having a large variety of combat options for pvp is great, variety is the Key to success.

A trend that I personally do not enjoy is the separation of the PvP and PvE world. I find a world without both boring for one of the most fun things I ever done with a guild was Castle Sieges. It is way more interesting to fight other players on a chaotic system without fairness, then a predictable fair system.

Something as fighting other guild for a certain resource that showed up on the map every 2 weeks, information brokers (npc) that will sell the location of these objectives, reward for the players and guild that gets those resources.

Stuff like that is easy to idealize and entertaining for the players adding some sort of competition between guilds. That is something that I lacked very much wile playing WoW, there was no reason for my guild to progress faster then the others or be stronger then the others. Most guilds were packs of strangers that wanted a raid club. the guild itself was worthless. Wile some guilds did different, the game did not promoted "The Guild" like games such as Lineage2, where Guilds and Aliiances had to compete every too weeks for the control of the land.

Post subject: Re: The Arena
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:59 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Thanks for the thoughts on PvP.

Let me start out first by saying that our game is not a PvP focused game. We do offer PvP, and it will be much different from PvP offered by other games (and I'll get to that), but we do not offer world PvP objectives. Our world, as I'm sure you have read, is incredibly complex. The NPC's have lives, and goals, as do the monsters. Everything effects everything else. Adding player warfare into the mix introduces more variables into the equation. We feel as though our gameplay is going to be so incredible, the AI of our mobs so challenging, and the quests and stories so deep, that you will feel the same pressure in the world as things hunt you - even though they aren't human.

That being said, we completely understand the feeling that comes from fighting other live human beings. Competition is something that we know means a lot to people. Our Shadow Arena allows for a host of different, customization with many different PvP scenarios.

Taken from our website:

"Our game features a coliseum right in the heart of the Citadel of Sorcery. This is a very special place, where players may seek out challenges. These include, but are not limited to, PVP combat in the arena. The players can choose how they want the challenge setup for their bout. They can pick the type of goal, challenge single players or groups to combat. Fight monsters, or add monsters into the mix.

Every style and type of combat in the Arena has its own bracket system, where players may work to become the top player, or group. Guilds may even challenge other Guilds to arena combat. Top players of any bracket are considered Gladiator Champions, and NPCs around the Reflected Worlds will cheer them upon recognition of their status. Statues will be erected of these champions, displayed for all to see.

And then there is the gambling. Every bout is posted ahead of time, and players can bet on these battles. The contestants may also wager against their opponents, winner take all! Full penalty death is even on the table as part of the wager, if so desired, though this is also something that can be removed (meaning, you can fight to the death, but not suffer the full death penalty in the game, which can be severe). What and how much you gamble on the outcome of these battles will add spice and excitement to your challenge! And even if you don’t want to fight, you can still watch the action with special magical viewing eyes you control, and wager on your favorite champion against other spectators."

Now - there are a ton of other aspects to our Shadow Arena that we are not prepared to release at this time. Many new and exciting ways you can compete, and we think you will really enjoy them.

All this being said, the focus of our game has always been our epic story telling, immersive full-size planet, and a world that notices what you do and who you are.

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:24 pm 
Fallen Hero

I understand how warfare politics could make a complicated world even more complicated in a unenjoyable way.

I would just like to focus the key essence of Lineage 2 Castle Sieges and world pvp system: an Unfair Fight.

We enjoyed it because it was brutal and unfair in every scale. Different numbers on each side, several sides in the same war, different levels all mixed up in a chaotic war. Honestly, fighting fair and square can be boring.

So even if it is instanced pvp, having some options for a brutal and unfair duel that could end with both teams losing would be fun as hell. Like a map where players have to deal with invading mobs trying to destroy there camp, and at the same time deal with another team that is facing the same situation. The mobs don't stop spawning and eventually will outmaneuver the players. Both teams need to try to control the mobs and at the same time destroy the other team defenses, before the monsters slay both of them.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:40 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Raevyn wrote:
Now - there are a ton of other aspects to our Shadow Arena that we are not prepared to release at this time. Many new and exciting ways you can compete, and we think you will really enjoy them.

:)

Is all I have to say.

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:17 am 

Raevyn wrote:
Raevyn wrote:

:)

Is all I have to say.

I plan on participating in the Arena, Win lots of money and not ever have to raise a weapon in anger. now I just need to find a champion to win me some Gold.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:11 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Million dollar babies are far and apart. Good luck with that :D

Post Posted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:14 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I take that as a challenge!

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:20 am 

Raevyn wrote:
I take that as a challenge!

Raevyn so thats one gold for you (5) for me and one for the Monkey ....... Is that fair.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:53 am 
Citadel Recruit

Raevyn wrote:

Taken from our website:

"Our game features a coliseum right in the heart of the Citadel of Sorcery. This is a very special place, where players may seek out challenges. These include, but are not limited to, PVP combat in the arena. The players can choose how they want the challenge setup for their bout. They can pick the type of goal, challenge single players or groups to combat. Fight monsters, or add monsters into the mix.

Every style and type of combat in the Arena has its own bracket system, where players may work to become the top player, or group. Guilds may even challenge other Guilds to arena combat. Top players of any bracket are considered Gladiator Champions, and NPCs around the Reflected Worlds will cheer them upon recognition of their status. Statues will be erected of these champions, displayed for all to see."

That sounds great. So you can basicly create a PvP game as known (MOBA, Arena, ...) in CoS?

It would be awesome, but I suggest that it shouldn't affect the balancing of your game, since there are more than 18xx Skills there should be some that are a good use for pvp :)

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:00 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

chaoscrusader wrote:
Raevyn wrote:

Taken from our website:

Every style and type of combat in the Arena has its own bracket system, where players may work to become the top player, or group. Guilds may even challenge other Guilds to arena combat. Top players of any bracket are considered Gladiator Champions, and NPCs around the Reflected Worlds will cheer them upon recognition of their status. Statues will be erected of these champions, displayed for all to see."

That sounds great. So you can basicly create a PvP game as known (MOBA, Arena, ...) in CoS?

It would be awesome, but I suggest that it shouldn't affect the balancing of your game, since there are more than 18xx Skills there should be some that are a good use for pvp :)

Have I mentioned that balancing CoS is a nightmare? No, really, I hardly sleep. How do you balance 1890 Abilities? Well, you don't, but you can try really hard! This subject has been the focus of more hours of design meetings than I care to remember, and is not anywhere near done yet! Argh, I probably won't sleep again tonight, too many balancing nightmares! Spreadsheets attacking, percentages exploding...

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Shadow Arena