Post subject: Re: The Arena
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:58 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jatar wrote:
chaoscrusader wrote:
Raevyn wrote:

Taken from our website:

"Our game features a coliseum right in the heart of the Citadel of Sorcery. This is a very special place, where players may seek out challenges. These include, but are not limited to, PVP combat in the arena. The players can choose how they want the challenge setup for their bout. They can pick the type of goal, challenge single players or groups to combat. Fight monsters, or add monsters into the mix.

Every style and type of combat in the Arena has its own bracket system, where players may work to become the top player, or group. Guilds may even challenge other Guilds to arena combat. Top players of any bracket are considered Gladiator Champions, and NPCs around the Reflected Worlds will cheer them upon recognition of their status. Statues will be erected of these champions, displayed for all to see."

That sounds great. So you can basicly create a PvP game as known (MOBA, Arena, ...) in CoS?

It would be awesome, but I suggest that it shouldn't affect the balancing of your game, since there are more than 18xx Skills there should be some that are a good use for pvp :)

Have I mentioned that balancing CoS is a nightmare? No, really, I hardly sleep. How do you balance 1890 Abilities? Well, you don't, but you can try really hard! This subject has been the focus of more hours of design meetings than I care to remember, and is not anywhere near done yet! Argh, I probably won't sleep again tonight, too many balancing nightmares! Spreadsheets attacking, percentages exploding...

Well, scientists have found out that your body rests best (power nap wise) if you have a sizable intake of caffeine right before the nap. So, smack down a 50cl can of red bull/monster or w/e you prefer and taking a nap will help! On a more serious note, I don't think any of us truly understand how much you sacrifice to get this game to be the best there ever was. I salute you!

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:39 pm 

Balancing anything is hard especially in a game , the best I could ever come up with is a sort of Equals and Opposites , either using a clock face or a 3D sphere. Very tricky to acheive , And even more so I guess if you have an odd number of leagues.

Algorithms damn Algorithms...

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:35 pm 
Fallen Hero

I am not quite sure where, but I believe you at one point said that there would be statues of the victors in each championship. Is there a system where you can get a fancier statue with more wins?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:36 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Mystic wrote:
I am not quite sure where, but I believe you at one point said that there would be statues of the victors in each championship. Is there a system where you can get a fancier statue with more wins?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

You are not wrong, there will be statues of victors, but no, not fancier statues. There will be more prestigious locations of your statue though, dependent on your successes!

Post Posted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:11 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Worst legitimate loss record should get a hidden statue in the sewers below.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:25 pm 

In my opinion they should upgrade PvP so it isn't just limited to an Arena. But like Jatar stated there is going to be imbalances on skills needing to be tweaked which is probably time better spent elsewhere.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:23 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

This will never be an open world PVP game. It is designed from the ground up to be a realistic, epic story driven world wIth moving time. It is not and never will be anything like what you play in other MMO games. Asking for it to be another clone of existing games will only bring you disappointment. Open world PVP had been done, you can go play those now. The Arena will be fun for great competition between players, but it is a minor part of the game play of COS. I just want to be clear.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:35 am 
Citadel Guardian

Jatar wrote:
This will never be an open world PVP game. It is designed from the ground up to be a realistic, epic story driven world wIth moving time. It is not and never will be anything like what you play in other MMO games. Asking for it to be another clone of existing games will only bring you disappointment. Open world PVP had been done, you can go play those now. The Arena will be fun for great competition between players, but it is a minor part of the game play of COS. I just want to be clear.

I can understand where you are coming from. If the in-game world is so formidable, frightening, and engrossing, then, logically and role-playing wise, players will be too busy dealing with it in terms of survival to care about PvP out there, in the wild. Put another way, PvP usually exists as its own thing (i.e. an "endgame" activity) when PvE enemies are easy, on farm mode, and merely part of certain grinds.

Certainly, I suppose, people could come in and argue for a PvP server of some sort. But, PvP, as an involuntary concept and activity, is falling out of non-niche favor in MMORPGs. Thus, in order for PvP to survive, it has to be integrated into part of a purely voluntary PvP system (I have some suggestions for how to do that, if wanted), thereby making PvP servers an outdated concept.

Jatar wrote:
chaoscrusader wrote:
Raevyn wrote:

Taken from our website:

"Our game features a coliseum right in the heart of the Citadel of Sorcery. This is a very special place, where players may seek out challenges. These include, but are not limited to, PVP combat in the arena. The players can choose how they want the challenge setup for their bout. They can pick the type of goal, challenge single players or groups to combat. Fight monsters, or add monsters into the mix.

Every style and type of combat in the Arena has its own bracket system, where players may work to become the top player, or group. Guilds may even challenge other Guilds to arena combat. Top players of any bracket are considered Gladiator Champions, and NPCs around the Reflected Worlds will cheer them upon recognition of their status. Statues will be erected of these champions, displayed for all to see."

That sounds great. So you can basicly create a PvP game as known (MOBA, Arena, ...) in CoS?

It would be awesome, but I suggest that it shouldn't affect the balancing of your game, since there are more than 18xx Skills there should be some that are a good use for pvp :)

Have I mentioned that balancing CoS is a nightmare? No, really, I hardly sleep. How do you balance 1890 Abilities? Well, you don't, but you can try really hard! This subject has been the focus of more hours of design meetings than I care to remember, and is not anywhere near done yet! Argh, I probably won't sleep again tonight, too many balancing nightmares! Spreadsheets attacking, percentages exploding...

In terms of how one balances for PvP ideally, I have come to the conclusion that you can only balance in terms of general concepts or on a "meta level". For example, in a hands-off sense, you can give everyone access to all character-building options individually, then force them to make their own choices within certain limitations. As a result, the consequences of how one builds their character is always "fair" because they make uninhibited choices. Conversely, in a hands-on sense, you can balance characters in terms of complete "units", such as in balancing parties which are made of one of each pre-defined class against each other in terms of cumulative sets of abilities, numbers, and so on.

But, given the sheer magnitude of how characters work in CoS, I'm guessing that you are going with the former approach and saving yourself some headaches.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:49 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Absolutely. Everyone had access to learn any mix of nearly 2000 Abilities.
The restrictions are how much experience and practice you do in the game.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:47 am 

instead of fighting in the arena, can I bee the bookie that's taking all the bets? lol

Seriously though I am so looking forward to the arena. Just the idea of being able to set up a battle 1 on 1 or group vs. group is amazing. Add in the players as audience and its golden, new players will be able to see how battles are fought, possibly even what tactics can be used in combat and learn from it. I think its a brilliant Idea.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Shadow Arena