Select one of these that applies to you:
I plan to buy a Vive in 2016: 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I plan to buy an Oculus Rift in 2016: 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
I don't plan to buy either one: 83%  83%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 23

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:21 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

These last 2 comments made my preference shift to the Oculus.
I feel that the whole standing and moving while gaming is going to be another gimmick just like the Xbox Kinect and the wii controllers. I just do no want to stand up while gaming, I want to sit in my comfy expensive chair just turning around my head to see everything around me while I use the best controllers we have right now, mouse and keyboard.

The chair has always been important for many gamers, at least that's what the console gamers tell me and I guess that's pretty important for me to now that I really start to think about it.

I play mmo's for more then one hour a day and I can't imagine myself crouching and jumping for more then an hour after a day of hard work.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:23 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Timoca wrote:
These last 2 comments made my preference shift to the Oculus.
I feel that the whole standing and moving while gaming is going to be another gimmick just like the Xbox Kinect and the wii controllers. I just do no want to stand up while gaming, I want to sit in my comfy expensive chair just turning around my head to see everything around me while I use the best controllers we have right now, mouse and keyboard.

The chair has always been important for many gamers, at least that's what the console gamers tell me and I guess that's pretty important for me to now that I really start to think about it.

I play mmo's for more then one hour a day and I can't imagine myself crouching and jumping for more then an hour after a day of hard work.

Certainly, this is a valid choice for how you wish to play games, but that being said, I see no reason for such a person to buy VR in the first place. Just use your monitor, keyboard and mouse. You will be more comfortable, with less motion sickness in your comfortable chair.

But... for someone who seeks a VR experience, they are asking for Virtual Reality. Take a moment to consider those two words and what they are supposed to mean. It is SUPPOSED to feel like reality... you know, the Matrix, etc. That is the goal, to bring you into a virtual world, like you are really there. To want to stay seated in a chair... well, as I said, we already have a system for that, and it isn't Virtual Reality.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:31 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

You guys keep bring up the wii, like that has anything to do with VR. Ive played the wii, and every other console controller tracking system... they have nothing to do with VR, nothing. You are watching a monitor and have the disconnected controllers in your hands. You are not in a world, you are watching through a porthole and trying to control something through that porthole from remote.

The VR experience is nothing like that. To play in a VR world without VR controllers is like saying you would rather cut off your hands in the real world and use a keyboard to pick up stuff.

You are IN the world not looking at it through something. The ONLY natural way to interact with that reality is through reaching directly for what you want. Anything else is terrible. Every reviewer of the Ooulus system complains about using the dumb console controller, and can't wait for the VR controllers to finally release. There is a reason for that, everything else sucks in this kind of VR environment.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:31 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I do not believe that that is going to be something that works in the long run.
You can't do the VR experience you mention for several hours at once, yet your game focusses on long epic storylines.
That's why having the half VR experience (let's call it that) is a better option for mmo's and most other real games that you play longer than you do a partygame or a short-experience game.

Sitting in a chair with the VR set on is what most people seem to expect of it, that's also what the Oculus seems to be marketing for.

And I just read that the Vive has a front camera which the Oculus doesn't, so the Vive might be the better option with a keyboard and mouse, but not with their controller system.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:18 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Timoca wrote:
I do not believe that that is going to be something that works in the long run.
You can't do the VR experience you mention for several hours at once, yet your game focusses on long epic storylines.
That's why having the half VR experience (let's call it that) is a better option for mmo's and most other real games that you play longer than you do a partygame or a short-experience game.

Sitting in a chair with the VR set on is what most people seem to expect of it, that's also what the Oculus seems to be marketing for.

And I just read that the Vive has a front camera which the Oculus doesn't, so the Vive might be the better option with a keyboard and mouse, but not with their controller system.

The cameras is not for using a keyboard and mouse, it doesn't work like that.
But back on controllers, there is no point to VR without them, in that case just stick to your monitor. Oculus understands this, which is why they are coming out with their controller. It is also why they shipped with a game pad, because you can't use a keyboard. and mouse. They just didn't have their realcontroller ready to begin with. I can't begin to tell you how awful a keyboard and mouse is with VR, it is practically unusable.

I'm not sure how to explain this, go gets some darts, face the dart board, then blindfold yourself. Then see how you do.

This isn't a different kind of monitor, this is a completely different game medium.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Virtual Reality for CoS