Select one of these that applies to you:
I plan to buy a Vive in 2016: 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
I plan to buy an Oculus Rift in 2016: 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
I don't plan to buy either one: 83%  83%  [ 19 ]
Total votes : 23

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:59 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I probably wont get VR gear before the beta of CoS (guessing that will take a few years), because it is useless exept for a few games and I do not have the money to get cutting edge graphics.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:40 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I have no plans to purchase any VR system at this time.

I am interested in the technology as a whole, but as a parent of a young child, I simply can't "close myself off" inside a VR headset.

Maybe in several years when the technology, and my child (or children), have matured, then I might be ready to jump in.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:53 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

It's in my plans, but not this year. I feel the technology is still too young and new with many improvements on the way. I don't want to shell out that much money just to have it be outdated in a couple of years. I remember when cell phones came out big, bulky and expensive with a battery that lasted one hour for a good model. I waited then and I don't mind waiting now until the waters settle, new models come out, and the games themselves mature. I want to see a good library of games and based on that decide which I prefer.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:35 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I plan to buy an Oculus Rift in 2017

Post Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:00 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

amusedmonkey wrote:
It's in my plans, but not this year. I feel the technology is still too young and new with many improvements on the way. I don't want to shell out that much money just to have it be outdated in a couple of years. I remember when cell phones came out big, bulky and expensive with a battery that lasted one hour for a good model. I waited then and I don't mind waiting now until the waters settle, new models come out, and the games themselves mature. I want to see a good library of games and based on that decide which I prefer.

I'm on board with this. Also the genre of games being supported for VR aren't my cup of tea so I could care less about VR for now.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:37 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Not now. Probably not in the near future. When the tech gets better and cheaper maybe, but only if the game selection is extensive. Currently none of those is true.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:26 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I am super pumped about VR and I'm buying the VIVE because the experience is clearly superior, and I trust Valve as a company to deliver awesome content to the device.

It is pretty cost prohibitive though. The problem is not the headset so much as the equipment + a new PC. A PC that can optimally run the VIVE is pretty intense. I'm expecting to spend upwards of $1500 on the PC and VR equipment combined.

Regardless, the new PC is the reason why I won't actually buy one until 2017 - my wife had VISA problems and I'm stuck abroad for another year and I don't want to move an expensive PC across the Pacific.

I went ahead and voted VIVE though, as my original plan was for the end of 2016.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:32 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

A couple of things, based on this (admittedly small) sampling of votes, 80% don't plan to buy a VR headset soon. That is about what I expected. Now to the 20%.

I'm very curious as to why 3/4 of you plan an Oculus when the controllers on the Vive are so superior to the tacked on gamepad of Oculus? In addition, Oculus binds you to a chair, where Vive lets you explore around you in 3D space. I just find it odd that something that seems inferior in technology is the choice of more users. It can't be the cost, the Oculus will cost the same once the controllers come out (someday) What am I missing?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:54 am 

Jatar wrote:
I'm very curious as to why 3/4 of you plan an Oculus when the controllers on the Vive are so superior to the tacked on gamepad of Oculus? In addition, Oculus binds you to a chair, where Vive lets you explore around you in 3D space.

I personally don't care for the controllers. I think they're awesome, but I'm fine with just the headset and mouse/keyboard. The way things are setup now, though, you may be able to stand up, but they also root you to the ground, jarring you every time you want to move. A side note; the wii remote turned off a LOT of people from ever trying that again.

I won't be using the controllers, so if you take them out of the equation, the rift is a much more slick and comfortable headset with a sharper screen. It takes 1 hdmi cable and 1 usb3, then you're done. The vive is already notoriously tedious to setup. But possibly the most important reason... I can buy the rift without the controllers, that i don't actually want. I don't have that option with the vive.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:45 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

ShadowOfTheAlphaUhm wrote:
Jatar wrote:
I'm very curious as to why 3/4 of you plan an Oculus when the controllers on the Vive are so superior to the tacked on gamepad of Oculus? In addition, Oculus binds you to a chair, where Vive lets you explore around you in 3D space.

I personally don't care for the controllers. I think they're awesome, but I'm fine with just the headset and mouse/keyboard. The way things are setup now, though, you may be able to stand up, but they also root you to the ground, jarring you every time you want to move. A side note; the wii remote turned off a LOT of people from ever trying that again.

I won't be using the controllers, so if you take them out of the equation, the rift is a much more slick and comfortable headset with a sharper screen. It takes 1 hdmi cable and 1 usb3, then you're done. The vive is already notoriously tedious to setup. But possibly the most important reason... I can buy the rift without the controllers, that i don't actually want. I don't have that option with the vive.

Let me do a little counterpoint on this, since I've tried them both.

So, in order of your points above:

1) Controllers:
Having used the Vive Controllers, I can say, easily, that I wouldn't even consider using VR without them. They are literally half the whole point. To interact with a 3D environment, you don't want to disconnect yourself from it. Using a mouse and keyboard would be like trying to pick up your cup to take a drink by remote controlling an RC car to do it. It is just so much more natural to reach out with your hand and take hold of the cup, anything less is a disconnect, both slower and more painful.

More importantly, the controller becomes the thing you pick up. You reach for a bow and your controller becomes the bow. You reach back to your quiver and your other controller becomes an arrow. You nock and draw it back by really doing it. You aim down the arrow, just like a real bow. Nothing in a keyboard or mouse can possibly compare to actually using the bow and arrow like a real bow and arrow. This is virtual reality, a keyboard and mouse is not. So, the whole point of VR is lost without the VR controllers.

2) Jumping
The Vive does not root you to the ground. You can jump and move around in a large area. The headset and controllers are being tracked in 3D space. This is not the same as the old wii. The only issues anyone has reported on this is if they have some kind of IR interference in the room, like a big TV that is on. Put in the right environment, you can jump just fine.

3) Cables
As for the Vive using a LOT more cables, that's not really true either, at least not anymore. They went to a 3 in 1 cable now, so there is just one cable. I know this because I used a Vive with just the one cable at E3.

4) Visual difference.
There is no visual difference between the two. I tell you this from first-hand experience, but this is also backed up by reviewers. Here, I'll quote one (but you can find this in many reviews):

"Both headsets have the same resolution (2160×1200, or 1080×1200 per eye) same refresh rate (90 Hz) and same field of view, so any meaningful difference in image quality can be ruled out right out of the gates."

5) Easy of setup.
Two of my team have a Vive. I asked them how long it takes them to setup and they said 'Seconds'. They set the towers tripots, and there is no adjustment needed, just put them any distance within reason 5 - 15 feet apart typically. Set the controllers on the ground an hit a button. Walk them around the open space, and that's it. It's pretty damn simple. Again, don't take my word for it. This is a Video showing the first time setup, (after this it is even easier!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv6nVPPDmEI

6) So, as for buying it without the controllers... why? If you aren't going to use VR why spend so much money and be tied back to a remote controller system instead of natural VR? There is no way I could even use VR without them. Let me give you another example. I was playing a VR game with targets coming at me from all directions. I had to dodge, spin, duck, sidestep and even more importantly fire with both hands at separate targets, orienting on these incoming targets in split seconds. In the time you could get one with a keyboard and mouse, I could aim and fire with the controllers and kill 10 targets.

Remember the old days of trying to mix keyboard/mouse players against controllers for a console, the keyboard/mouse players were much faster and would kill the console players too easily. The opposite is true with VR controllers, they will wipe out a keyboard/Mouse player, easily. The speed is incredible since there is NO disconnect, it is point and shoot, with your hands and eyes working together.

OK, so that's my counterpoint, however, the thing you should have mentioned is that the Vive is about 100 grams heavier than the Oculus. But, given the more immersive experience of movement within the environment, I'd make that trade any day!

Some other differences, people with glasses will like the Vive better, it adjusts the distance of the optics, where the Oculus does not. The Vive has a camera mode, which lets you see the room and stuff around you while the headset is on, so one more feature better on the Vive.

So, I am strongly in favor of the Vive since it gave me a far more immersive experience, with better features, but admittedly, I'm a features guy. It's why I have been using Android phones over Apple phones. People are loyal to the Apple brand, even if the phone doesn't offer the same level of features. I go with what offers me the most. You may see things differently, but in this case, the Vive offers so many more VR features that the choice, for me, isn't even close.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Virtual Reality for CoS