CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game

Post Posted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:38 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Well, I'll tell you. We have been in the long process of building a new engine, and this has taken a long time, and a lot of work!

Most currently, we had to write a new system for lighting. This included a new point light system (for the new engine) and a new sunlight and shadow system. Then... we ran into problems with the voxel level of detail system, and had to write a new system for that! All of this has to do with us making sure that our engine can actually run the full world we are creating, at a good frame rate.

This is critical to sticking to our original goals, and , as painful as it has been to upgrade the entire engine, we bit the bullet and have been doing the work. Of course, that means that obvious progress on the game seemed to stop, as we were just redoing systems. However, it had to be done.

We are closing in on the last of the upgrades, so new progress should now be possible.

Thanks for your patience, but we're working on it!

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:24 am 
Hero of the Citadel

Hope you guyz will make the game playable in decent(Core i3 processor with normal nvidia graphics card(not the directx ones like GTX) systems, rather than only in the latest gaming machines. Am asking this as you guyz have been working on it since a very long time.

Post Posted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:36 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

devilzxdemon wrote:
Hope you guyz will make the game playable in decent(Core i3 processor with normal nvidia graphics card(not the directx ones like GTX) systems, rather than only in the latest gaming machines. Am asking this as you guyz have been working on it since a very long time.

Our goal is to run at a good frame rate, even if you don't have a max type of video card or top end CPU, unless you are planning to use a VR headset. In the case of VR, the game needs to run in the 90 fps range. However, to run at around 30 fps, you should be able to go as low as a $100 budget video card with an i3 chip, and 30 fps on a standard monitor is a good, smooth, frame rate.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:46 pm 

I have been watching this site since 2012. Are you at all scared that other companies will just outrun your project and that your ideas are no longer innovative by the time you finish? Seems like noone wants to play MMORPGs anymore if you cant differentiate skill as in a MOBA. A big (evolving) world and very deep and cunning quests are not as mind blowing as they were 5 years ago...

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:11 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Sure, we would be mildly concerned if we thought other MMORPGS are out pacing us. Which one(s) do you think are doing so?

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:00 am 

Not combined of course, but No Man's Sky, Crowfall, Citadel Forged with Fire seem to have interesting ideas. And if u take lets say another five years, there might be another Elder Scrolls title coming up...
Don't get me wrong I love the idea of CoS veeery much, but when your only twenty, 5 years is a quarter of your life :D

Post Posted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:04 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I can't think of any, none of the ones I follow so far are getting graphics as good as this one, mostly because of the LoD in this engine, haven't seen all that much of the final art yet.
And story wise the same, from what I've heard the quest system will be similar to the one of Shroud of the Avatar but a lot deeper and more expansive.

For me this game feels slightly like a follow up to Guildwars 1, a focus on story with smaller groups playing these stories (I know there's a lot more to it) and no other mmo's right now that have been announced are going in that direction.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:32 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

I may have spoken too soon... I got a list of additional engine upgrade elements that we had to add.

Instanced Object Voxel LODs
Improved Mip Maps
Section unified Voxel LODs
Cell unified Voxel LODs
Voxel LOD time of day lighting.

Since getting this list, of these, only the Instanced Object Voxel LODs is now done, so this is a few more weeks of work to get all the rest. The programming team assures me that this list is final (hah!) I'll keep you informed!

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game