CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:06 am 
Patron Herald
Patron Herald

So, seeing the lack of updates, I have to conclude that the money that I once pledged here has been a waste. Either you guys have hit a dead end, or this is vapor-ware.

I wish you good luck though with finishing the game.

Post Posted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 11:43 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

KanedaSyndrome wrote:
So, seeing the lack of updates, I have to conclude that the money that I once pledged here has been a waste. Either you guys have hit a dead end, or this is vapor-ware.

I wish you good luck though with finishing the game.

Sadly, this is somewhat true. We're sorry about the lack of updates, but we have hit a wall, a technological obstruction that we have been doing our best to get through for nearly two years now. Lack of funding is affecting the speed in which we can attack this issue, as our team remains small, but we haven't stopped working on this massive engine upgrade, and still hope to get it working. When we do, things will progress in a more visual way, and we can start updates again, so we hope.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:10 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

M̶r̶ ̶G̶o̶r̶b̶a̶c̶h̶e̶v̶ Jatar tear down this wall!

Post Posted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:32 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Alodar wrote:
M̶r̶ ̶G̶o̶r̶b̶a̶c̶h̶e̶v̶ Jatar tear down this wall!

He probably could, if the wall wasn't made from this accursed terrain system.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:17 pm 

I believe that most of us avid watchers of this game's development understand the fact that there will be delays and difficulties. Things that are inevitable in project management/development, especially when the final product is in the form of code. Despite this understanding, this sentiment of "This is Vaporware" is becoming more and more widespread due to the fact that there are, for the past 2 years at least, hardly ever any updates.

In any professional undertaking, there should be clear communication to stakeholders about the progress, or lack thereof. The people who frequent these forums are your stakeholders. Patrons and non-patrons. Lurkers, and non-lurkers. The development team are responsible for making the game, but the "forum-frequenters" will be your legions of fans spreading this game to its maximum potential. We are your future customers, your community, and the lifeblood of what a game is all about - its players.

I appreciate the vastness of the undertaking the development team has committed to. When I first stumbled across this game many years ago, I was in awe. This game, and the plan for it, changed the way I thought about entertainment. I am rooting for this game to differentiate itself where so many others have failed. I want Citadel of Sorcery to be a household name for years to come. However, for this to happen, there needs to be an understanding, and a line of communication between the market participants and the end-product's developers.

I implore you to go back to a cycle of regular updates. Monthly, quarterly, whatever. The periodicity doesn't matter, but the regularity makes a world of difference. Updating us that "the initial timeline was aggressive, and unforeseen obstacles have caused significant delays" may be difficult, but it's a piece of information that is terrific for the community to know. Hearing nothing, knowing nothing, imagining the worst... these are the types of things that will turn a community against the project.

Thank you for adding a sense of wonder to my life, and please, do everything you can to make this a success!

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:44 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Hmm well, in the last year there wasn't all that much to say I think, they seem to have gotten stuck on some nasty bugs for a while that required a lot of work to fix. There's still progress but it's slow.
On the patron chat we get updated but it's not the kind of stuff you can writ whole posts about.

And I do think as well that their should be a little more updates on the site or even forum, even if it's just to tell us that they're still fixing this one nasty issue.

But I'm patient, once they get all these smaller systems to work together progress gain will speed up again

Post Posted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:52 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Our apologies. The thing is... we got caught in a viscous cycle. Every week or two we thought we had the engine upgrade about done, only to find out we had to fix some bug, or add some new system, which created more bugs. So, each time we thought, "We're almost ready to show and talk about all this work" only to find out we had another delay. Then, we'd think, "OK, we'll wait another week and then talk about this". Of course, we had no idea that this would go on for this long.

Anyway, we are still working on the large and small planet wide foliage systems. We've written endless new routines to try and achieve our goals. We've made progress and had some recent success. At one point we got the large foliage system working, only to find out it was causing massive frame rate hits. We had to scrap a lot of that work and redo it from an all new way. That has been done, (three times) but, as recent as a week ago, I did see some working screenshots of unique trees, in random growth patterns, over a large area. We THINK we might be close now.

Next up we are adding some things back in that we turned off. These were turned off so that they weren't suspects in any bugs we might see. Things like the small foliage system (grass and leaves), the actual ground terrain. We also have to add in the large foliage texturing and activate the seeding routine for realistic growth patterns. This is what we are working on now.

When this is running, we'll show some screenshots, and run some Dev Briefings and Webcasts. I hope this will be soon, but we'll see. I'll try to keep you all better informed.

Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:43 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Rough. I've got about 12 months before I have a lot more free time again. Maybe there will be something more then.

Post Posted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:26 pm 
Patron Herald
Patron Herald

Jatar, how much development is this project still seeing? I imagine that you must be part-timing this by now from lack of funds?

Why the big focus on the foliage system? You'd get further with focusing on NPC AI system from a value perspective imo.

What's stopping us from using unity/unreal engine? With all the delays, will the title still be ambitious considering the developments in the industry during the last 7 years?

Thank you.

Post Posted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:29 pm 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

KanedaSyndrome wrote:
Jatar, how much development is this project still seeing? I imagine that you must be part-timing this by now from lack of funds?

Why the big focus on the foliage system? You'd get further with focusing on NPC AI system from a value perspective imo.

What's stopping us from using unity/unreal engine? With all the delays, will the title still be ambitious considering the developments in the industry during the last 7 years?

Thank you.

Yes, we have run low on funds, and that has slowed development, though we are still working on it. The thing is, we have gone down the road of this world technology so far, that to change engines at this stage would be too difficult. We've made our bed and we will either get it working, or pack it in. If we were a long way from getting that done, we might have already killed it, but... we're pretty close, or so the programmers tell me.

This is not a foliage system, not really. This is an entire planet generating system. The foliage comes in two systems, a small and large foliage system. We have these, but are just having some issues getting it all working together.

Once done, the small foliage system can generate any kind of small item, grass, flowers, small rocks, dead branches on the ground, dead leaves, etc. The large foliage system can generate any kind of tree, bush, boulder, etc. These happen on a planet wide scale.

The reason we are sticking to this is that it is a unique system. If we even could switch to a different engine, then we would be like all the other MMOs out there. This engine is one of the things that makes the game unique (that, and the game play design as well as the tools for construction, which are also part of this engine).

The whole unique game design is based around this engine, without it, we can't really do the game as it is designed. So we're stuck with trying to finish this up, with a shrinking team, due to low funds.

We have been working on this for more than ten years, without much in the way of outside funds, so it has been very hard, especially at this stage.

But, cross your fingers, if we can get this running decently, we think we have something unique enough to attract a publisher. Only time will tell. It's a race now, we either get this technology to function soon... or run out of funds completely.

The only question is, which will happen first.

We have tried to be honest all the way with people, and we are still being honest.

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » CoS: General Discussion of the Game