CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:34 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I have been reading the other website forums and I see a common question being asked about CoS. So I will pose it here for an official response.

Will I burn through the majority of the game content within 30 days after launch?.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:58 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

There's actually quite a bit of content from the posts I've read. The combat system is detailed enough to where they're going to let you get used to it one stage at a time, so it will takes months to get used to the intricacies involved. Also, the improvement of items is also to be an involved process.

I poked around but couldn't find specific threads on the various topics. Read some of the older posts and you'll see what they have in mind for game content.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:56 am 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I have been a member of this forum since the beginning and have read everything there is more than once. I have my own opinion about what I have read. I am hoping to get some consolidated information for the new people.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:27 am 
Fallen Hero

Check the videos they explain it a little.

For these game, the staff built a planet from scratch, a real planet, and it would take years for you to explore it and all the quests in it. They say we will never explore all of it but that remains to be seen :p

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:02 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jalitan wrote:
I have been a member of this forum since the beginning and have read everything there is more than once. I have my own opinion about what I have read. I am hoping to get some consolidated information for the new people.

The new people can read the various posts just like the rest of us had to. The FAQ on the main page is helpful to a point, but I agree a post with links to the various, detailed answers would be a good quick reference guide for the new folk.

Although, putting together a post like that would take some time.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:03 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Dragonhand wrote:
Check the videos they explain it a little.

For these game, the staff built a planet from scratch, a real planet, and it would take years for you to explore it and all the quests in it. They say we will never explore all of it but that remains to be seen :p

Our game world is the size of earth. Humans have been on this planet for thousands of years (Longer than that depending on your beliefs :P) and we still have not explored it all.

We can very safely say that no player will explore our world fully within 10 years. We are even developing lots of underwater civilizations and adventures to experience!

As to content, our systems are like nothing that has ever been released, nor set to release that we are aware of. With our TrueQuesting system, you could play the same quest 10 times and have it be different almost every time, and not in minor ways.

(incorrect data removed).

It is safe for us to say that content will not be a problem with CoS.

Edit by Director of Design: Raevyn has misspoken, the number of quests we will offer at launch is undetermined at this time as we need to test to make sure there is enough game play hours before making the decision on how many we include at launch. It may be less than she stated, though it is likely there will be more. Please excuse her enthusiasm, but that was not an accurate statement, and it has been removed.

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed."

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:05 pm 

Jalitan wrote:
I have been reading the other website forums and I see a common question being asked about CoS. So I will pose it here for an official response.

Will I burn through the majority of the game content within 30 days after launch?.

Jalitan so the content lots of types of content and extended longevity a few quotes; content is unlimited but the storyline EPIC can be completed. How long that will take is unknown. But heres a few to mull over or use sure Jatar won't mind they are his quotes; I am pretty sure based on the way the Engine works you are at years of content and exploration.

Gameplay: Longevity real and lasting..

CoS is designed to keep content for players for years, not months. You won't run out of content... not ever. First, our quest system isn't a single linear path. There are MANY quests you will not even do or see in two years of playing the game. Even if you played for eight years, and we somehow had not released more content, you would STILL not run out... but let's say, somehow, you did... well, since all of our quests have about 10,000 ways through (I'm UNDER estimating this, the actual numbers are higher), even if you went on a similar quest years from now, it would be radically different. CoS is designed for maximum replayablity, and that's after you try to exhaust years of first time content. You can't compare to other games you have played, simply because NO other game creates quests the way we do.

Gameplay: Quest Failure and subsequent events

The system will keep players from spiraling into oblivion. You can't actually fail, there are various levels of success. In the example where you don't manage to save someone and they die, this will not stop the player's story, it only colors the direction. This might be considered the least favorable outcome, but life will always go on.

Our game doesn't have the benefit of a live GM to 'fix' things, but we do have systems that track a whole bunch of data about what you do as a player. This data is then available to the game in the future. Without getting into the extremely technical side of this system, it has a lot of power to alter the future for an individual, and setup a continuing adventure that is uniquely built for the player.

We track what you do so that we can build what will happen. This is our automated method of replacing a GM. Now, it isn't going to be able to do the same things as a live GM, but it can adapt the game to the player in ways that keep things rolling, keep a player advancing their personal story, and give each player a unique adventure through this game.

It's also important to note that players will not be told how they did on a particular adventure or quest, their outcome is just the way it went, it is their life. You do what you do, the life of your character moves forward, no matter what. You will be rewarded for success and earn less rewards for failure, but since you don't know what the rewards are for either one, you don't really know if you did terrible, or great, other than how you feel that you did. I mean, if you were supposed to save someone and they died, well, it's fairly obvious that wasn't the best you could do.

But the point is, the game moves on, you don't repeat, you don't redo, you move onto the next adventure where you try to succeed in your goals. Better outcomes mean faster progress, worse outcomes slower progress, but you will progress.

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:18 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Lonfer wrote:
The new people can read the various posts just like the rest of us had to. The FAQ on the main page is helpful to a point, but I agree a post with links to the various, detailed answers would be a good quick reference guide for the new folk.

Looks like the answer was easier than we thought. Thanks Raevyn and Isane.

When I get home I will go back to the other websites where the question was posed and show them Raevyn's impressive answer.

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:36 pm 

Jalitan wrote:
Lonfer wrote:

When I get home I will go back to the other websites where the question was posed and show them Raevyn's impressive answer.

Goes and kicks the cat...... Jalitan see what you did :(

Look Down.....

Post Posted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:43 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

Jalitan wrote:
Lonfer wrote:

Hmm, I guess so if that's all you're looking for. I was trying to review the more detailed answers in my mind and trying to find the links for them. But the short answer with quality detail is generally the best one ;) .

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Game Play