CoS Home    Cos FAQ    Register CoS    Register    Login    Forum    Forum FAQ

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities

Post subject: Abilities Counter?
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:44 pm 
Fallen Hero

Just wondering, could you guys put up a widget somewhere or other with how many abilites you've made real time? It'd be interesting to watch.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post subject: Re: Abilities Counter?
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 3:08 am 

There have actually been many more abilities conceived than needed. Which means that the list wouldn't be counting up how many they've made, it would be a count down. Heh

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:30 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

That is correct. We aren't making one at a time, we work in phases. Right now we have around 1700, which is cut back some. This is likely to reduce more, before the next phase of making new. There is just a lot to this.

We have to make an equal number of Abilites for each League, and yet, because every player can technically get Abilities from every League it means that each one has to be unique. Having said that, we also have to plan for some players getting most of their Abilities from just one League, so each League has to have a full range of things they can do, without crossover, for the most part.

Then, of course, we have to try to balance each Ability from any League so that there isn't a 'perfect build' that everyone then uses.

Anyway, this is a complex problem that isn't really about making an Ability at a time.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:52 pm 
Fallen Hero

Ouch... just curious, are you going by tier or by path? It doesn't really matter, just wondering.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Post Posted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:48 am 
Lead Designer
Lead Designer

Both, and many other ways. This has been going on for years. I often wonder who was crazy enough to decide to offer this many unique Abilities. ;)

Post Posted: Mon May 11, 2015 9:26 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I actually tried doing it myself once. I got to around 500, after that it starts getting really hard to make abilities that still feel unique, especially for weapon attacks. There's only so many ways you can swing a sword.

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:32 pm 
Patron Scribe
Patron Scribe

I can swing my sword sword, sword my diamond sword sword.

It helps to have a team working on it than one person. I find myself creating new ideas all the time if I even have someone just to talk to about it.

The ratio of Creativity per person involved is exponential!

Oh, and I suppose you haven't seen Blue Man Group swing a sword yet. There are ways, my friend. There are ways.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:31 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Just to put it in perspective, using the "scientific" method (which is only ONE of many methods we've used to hone in our abilities), we came up with over 4,000 abilities from just using permutations of:

Damage Type (Earth, fire, ice, psionic, crush, pierce etc.)
Damage Application (AoE, cone, single target etc.)
Affliction Types (Stun, root, slow, etc.)

And this was just to get the "base" of things to work off of. We want our abilities to be more unique than just the above 3 categories, so we have a list of over 15 ability "characteristics" that add even more variety - speed, distance, strategic situations (like high ground, under ground, under water, etc) to layer in to those base abilities.

So, as Jatar mentioned, we've actually needed to REDUCE the number of abilities we've come up with so that we can make them all feel really special for the players. That is why it is a long process. The rule we were given by Jatar was "The players need to want every single ability." He doesn't let us get off easy :)

You'll notice the above number was only for things that are related to doing damage or crowd control to monsters. Our methodology for the other abilities, like underwater breathing, camouflage, movement speed, and many, many other non-combat abilities is quite different.

The nice thing about CoS is we aren't relegated to classes or class balancing. As long as we make every ability unique, viable, and not drastically better than the other except for in specific strategic situations (ie a fire spell used on a molten giant or something), we are balanced and can allow players to combine them in their own way.

We're really excited to see how players will choose to combine our abilities!

"Purging is at last at hand. Day of Doom is here. All that is evil, all their allies; your parents, your leaders, those who would call themselves your judges; those who have lied and corrupted the Earth, they shall all be cleansed." ~Thulsa Doom

Board index » Citadel of Sorcery General Discussions » Abilities